Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Mark Hobson <ma...@gmail.com> on 2007/07/03 15:48:32 UTC

[VOTE] Configure IDE plugins to download sources by default within Maven projects

Following the recent thread "Maven POM plugin config", this is a vote
to add downloadSources=true to both the eclipse and idea plugin
configurations in the maven-parent POM:

[ ] +1: I like Javadoc and easy debugging
[ ] +0: I'll go with the flow
[ ] -1: I like superfluous typing, guessing Javadoc and reading bytecode

+1 from me.

Mark

Re: [VOTE] Configure IDE plugins to download sources by default within Maven projects

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
+1

Mark Hobson wrote:
> Following the recent thread "Maven POM plugin config", this is a vote
> to add downloadSources=true to both the eclipse and idea plugin
> configurations in the maven-parent POM:
>
> [ ] +1: I like Javadoc and easy debugging
> [ ] +0: I'll go with the flow
> [ ] -1: I like superfluous typing, guessing Javadoc and reading bytecode
>
> +1 from me.
>
> Mark

Dennis Lundberg

Re: [VOTE] Configure IDE plugins to download sources by default within Maven projects

Posted by Stephane Nicoll <st...@gmail.com>.
-1 (vote) in the way it's handled right now

When you have lots of dependencies, it takes way much time to generate
the project. I would go either into a FAQ explaining how to set this
up in the pluginsManagement section of a super pom.

Aligning the cache system from the eclipse plugin to the IDEA plugin
would probably change my vote.

Stéphane

On 7/3/07, Mark Hobson <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Following the recent thread "Maven POM plugin config", this is a vote
> to add downloadSources=true to both the eclipse and idea plugin
> configurations in the maven-parent POM:
>
> [ ] +1: I like Javadoc and easy debugging
> [ ] +0: I'll go with the flow
> [ ] -1: I like superfluous typing, guessing Javadoc and reading bytecode
>
> +1 from me.
>
> Mark

Large Systems Suck: This rule is 100% transitive. If you build one,
you suck" -- S.Yegge

Re: [VOTE] Configure IDE plugins to download sources by default within Maven projects

Posted by Edwin Punzalan <el...@gmail.com>.
+1

Its in my settings.xml too.

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.
Jochen Wiedmann wrote:
> On 7/3/07, Mark Hobson <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Following the recent thread "Maven POM plugin config", this is a vote
>> to add downloadSources=true to both the eclipse and idea plugin
>> configurations in the maven-parent POM:
>>
>> [ ] +1: I like Javadoc and easy debugging
>> [ ] +0: I'll go with the flow
>> [ ] -1: I like superfluous typing, guessing Javadoc and reading bytecode
>
> -1 for both, although I like to have sources and javadocs attached to
> Eclipse. (Non-binding)
>
> Downloading sources (or javadocs) is an excellent thing, if the
> sources (or the javadocs) are available. Unfortunately this isn't the
> case in a real lot of cases. As a consequence, running the plugins can
> get darned slow.

For the same reasons I'm -1 on this proposal too (non-binding)

--
Reinhard

Re: [VOTE] Configure IDE plugins to download sources by default within Maven projects

Posted by Mark Hobson <ma...@gmail.com>.
On 03/07/07, Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> -1 for both, although I like to have sources and javadocs attached to
> Eclipse. (Non-binding)
>
> Downloading sources (or javadocs) is an excellent thing, if the
> sources (or the javadocs) are available. Unfortunately this isn't the
> case in a real lot of cases. As a consequence, running the plugins can
> get darned slow.

Subsequent invocations are quick since missing jars are cached in
target/mvn-eclipse-cache.properties.

> Apart from that, why can't you simply run
>
>     mvn dependency:sources
>     mvn eclipse:eclipse

May as well run mvn eclipse:eclipse -DdownloadSources ;)

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
I have had second thoughts on the proposal.

To me, we are discussing something, that clearly is a user preference.
As such, it belongs into either settings.xml or profiles.xml, possibly
with activeByDefault=true. It should not enter a projects POM, if it
is used by as many people as the Maven POM's.

Jochen

--
"Besides, manipulating elections is under penalty of law, resulting in
a preventative effect against manipulating elections.

The german government justifying the use of electronic voting machines
and obviously  believing that we don't need a police, because all
illegal actions are forbidden.

http://dip.bundestag.de/btd/16/051/1605194.pdf

Re: [VOTE] Configure IDE plugins to download sources by default within Maven projects

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 04/07/2007, at 12:04 AM, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:

> Downloading sources (or javadocs) is an excellent thing, if the
> sources (or the javadocs) are available. Unfortunately this isn't the
> case in a real lot of cases. As a consequence, running the plugins can
> get darned slow.
>
> Apart from that, why can't you simply run
>
>    mvn dependency:sources
>    mvn eclipse:eclipse

I like this suggestion - have an option to use the ones downloaded
already, but not grab any more (to avoid redownloading missing stuff
all the time - though this could also be achieved by adding some
marker in the repository).

- Brett

Re: [VOTE] Configure IDE plugins to download sources by default within Maven projects

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christian Gruber <ch...@gmail.com>.
+1 for both (non binding), but the unavailability of either shouldn't
spam consoles.  Small concise warnings would be sufficient, if at all.

Christian.

Posted by Rahul Thakur <ra...@gmail.com>.
Same here.

+1 to Javadoc

 -1 to download sources

Cheers,
Rahul

Posted by Stephane Nicoll <st...@gmail.com>.
On 7/3/07, Cabasson Denis <de...@insee.fr> wrote:
> Can you be a little more specific about the behaviour of the IDEA plugin you would want to port to the eclipse plugin?

It's the other way around. When you generate the project using the
eclise plugin it marks the dependencies that have not been resolved
(sources & javadocs). Hence, further execution are faster since it
does not try to contact the repo again for those deps.

The IDEA plugin does not have this functionnality.

Hope it clarifies

Stéphane

Posted by Cabasson Denis <de...@insee.fr>.

Posted by Stephane Nicoll <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kenney Westerhof <ke...@apache.org>.

Brian E. Fox wrote:
>> So I propose:
>
>> - if -DdownloadSources is specified, download sources and fallback to javadoc, just as it is now
>> - if -DdownloadJavaDoc is specified, download javadoc (possibly fallback to sources)
>> - if both are specified, download both.
>
>> And:
>
>> - don't make this a default; the default behaviour of attaching
>>  either source or javadoc when it's present in the local repo
>>  is fine though, but turning this on by default is just too slow.
>
> This is already done in Eclipse 2.4 although it doesn't fallback to the javadoc.

Cool though the fallback has been there a long time ago, and still was until a few days ago
(just svn upped and it was gone; a few days ago this still was present...).

Guess the fallback isn't really required so it's fine like this imho.

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.

Posted by Kenney Westerhof <ke...@apache.org>.
Ok, if you really need both sources and javadoc then that should
be possible. I never heard of the shift-f2 but indeed it doesn't work here.
I either use the tooltip when I hover over an element and possibly f2 for focus,
or open the javadoc view which displays the javadoc as soon as I select any element, which
does work with sources - no javadoc needed. This seems more of a bug
in eclipse than anything else though.

So I propose:

- if -DdownloadSources is specified, download sources and fallback to javadoc, just as it is now
- if -DdownloadJavaDoc is specified, download javadoc (possibly fallback to sources)
- if both are specified, download both.

And:

- don't make this a default; the default behaviour of attaching
  either source or javadoc when it's present in the local repo
  is fine though, but turning this on by default is just too slow.

-- Kenney

Posted by Mark Hobson <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Cabasson Denis <de...@insee.fr>.

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Cabasson Denis <de...@insee.fr>.
Basically, I tend to agree with you Kenney. But I have users who love to use Shift+F2 within eclipse (which opens a browser like window with the view of the javadoc in eclipse), and I don't really see why those users should be denied to use their eclipse the way they want.

I have attached a path to MECLIPSE-292 which adds a downloadJavadoc parameter, working the way Sources is working. This way everybody will be able to choose.

Right now fallback from sources to javadoc isn't available, but if you think this feature is worth it, I can fix it.

Denis.

Posted by Kenney Westerhof <ke...@apache.org>.

Posted by Cabasson Denis <de...@insee.fr>.

Posted by Mark Hobson <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
+1 to Javadoc

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.
I would be +1 except that this will break the current tests in eclipse. We need to solve that first, and then I'm good. (see my reply to the previous thread) and http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MECLIPSE-288

since this will break the eclipse tests, I have to say -1 until we can be sure it won't or find a way around it.