Posted to dev@drill.apache.org by Yash Sharma <ya...@impetus.co.in> on 2013/08/19 16:15:10 UTC

Recent Drill meetup in Bangalore (India)

Hi Guys,
We had a small drill meetup here in Bangalore with few like minded people who would love to contribute to Drill.
We are a group of 3 people here. We called Srihari for discussion - who is already working on the REST api part currently.
Me , Srihari and Arun met and discussed which all areas can we start working on. We decided to begin with the StorageEngine part of it where we could make some API's for some storage engines. We decided to start off with MongoDB.

Please give your suggestions for the same, so that we can start some work over it.

Best Regards,
Yash.

________________________________

Re: Recent Drill meetup in Bangalore (India)

Posted by Jacques Nadeau <ja...@apache.org>.
As I mentioned on the hangout, I think working on the MongoDB driver would
be great.

Posted by Srihari Srinivasan <ss...@thoughtworks.com>.
Its been on my mind to focus a bit on building a local community here and
the opportunity came when Yash reached out to talk about Drill. It was a
good discussion where I shared the 2 cents I've understood about Drill.
Clearly there are enthusiastic folks who want to contribute to Open Source
in general but need some hand holding.

Specifically we spoke about the areas where people can contribute and the
different StorageEngine implementations seemed like a reasonably
independent stream of work that someone can pick up. We decided to spend
some time understanding the interfaces and also figure out a database that
we can implement for. Mongo was something we talked about owning to its
popularity. It looks like there is a JIRA out
there<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DRILL-87> to
deal with Mongo. Not sure if this means the same as implementing
StorageEngine for Mongo!

In any case the folks are open to exploring other ways of contributing.
Just that the Mongo idea seemed to be up-for-grabs at the moment. I'll look
up to others on this list for more guidance before concluding.

-- Hari

Posted by Tanujit Ghosh <ta...@gmail.com>.
Excellent stuff guys :-)

On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 7:45 PM, Yash Sharma <ya...@impetus.co.in>wrote:

> Hi Guys,
> We had a small drill meetup here in Bangalore with few like minded people
> who would love to contribute to Drill.
> We are a group of 3 people here. We called Srihari for discussion - who is
> already working on the REST api part currently.
> Me , Srihari and Arun met and discussed which all areas can we start
> working on. We decided to begin with the StorageEngine part of it where we
> could make some API's for some storage engines. We decided to start off
> with MongoDB.
>
> Please give your suggestions for the same, so that we can start some work
> over it.
>
> Best Regards,
> Yash.
>
> ________________________________

Tanujit

Re: Recent Drill meetup in Bangalore (India)

Posted by Yash Sharma <ya...@impetus.co.in>.
Sure arun,
We will keep u in loop the next time we plan a meetup. We can help each other in small ways n figure out areas where we can pitch in :-)

Regards, yash.

Sent from my Sony Xperia™ smartphone

Arun Yadav <ar...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks Yash to organise a local drill meetup. I am kind of silent spectator
on this forum since it incubated around September 2012. Trying to figure
out how community works. Now with this initiative I think time has come to
speak up :)

Yash, Hari & Arun - Please include me, if you are guys are planning to meet
again. I am in Bangalore too.

Regards,
@run

On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 7:45 PM, Yash Sharma <ya...@impetus.co.in>wrote:

> Hi Guys,
> We had a small drill meetup here in Bangalore with few like minded people
> who would love to contribute to Drill.
> We are a group of 3 people here. We called Srihari for discussion - who is
> already working on the REST api part currently.
> Me , Srihari and Arun met and discussed which all areas can we start
> working on. We decided to begin with the StorageEngine part of it where we
> could make some API's for some storage engines. We decided to start off
> with MongoDB.
>
> Please give your suggestions for the same, so that we can start some work
> over it.
>
> Best Regards,
> Yash.
>
> ________________________________

@RUN>>
+91-9845679187

________________________________

Re: Recent Drill meetup in Bangalore (India)

Posted by Arun Yadav <ar...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Yash to organise a local drill meetup. I am kind of silent spectator
on this forum since it incubated around September 2012. Trying to figure
out how community works. Now with this initiative I think time has come to
speak up :)

Yash, Hari & Arun - Please include me, if you are guys are planning to meet
again. I am in Bangalore too.

Regards,
@run

On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 7:45 PM, Yash Sharma <ya...@impetus.co.in>wrote:

> Hi Guys,
> We had a small drill meetup here in Bangalore with few like minded people
> who would love to contribute to Drill.
> We are a group of 3 people here. We called Srihari for discussion - who is
> already working on the REST api part currently.
> Me , Srihari and Arun met and discussed which all areas can we start
> working on. We decided to begin with the StorageEngine part of it where we
> could make some API's for some storage engines. We decided to start off
> with MongoDB.
>
> Please give your suggestions for the same, so that we can start some work
> over it.
>
> Best Regards,
> Yash.

@RUN>>