Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm> on 2001/11/07 22:36:44 UTC

Tomcat and Memory Disaster

Hi all,

I have been battling since monday to get Tomcat to run successfully on
my LinuxPPC v2.4.7 system with j2sdk1.3.0 (blackdown.org PPC), with zero
success so far.

If I install the Tomcat v4.0.1 RPM, and I start it up with an empty
webapps directory, Tomcat starts fine.

The minute I try and deploy anything in the webapp directory, and add a
context to server.xml for it, Tomcat bombs out on startup like so:

Exception during startup processing
java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.copy(Method.java:278)
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.getParameterTypes(Method.java:90)
	at
org.apache.catalina.util.xml.SetProperties.setProperty(XmlMapper.java)
	at org.apache.catalina.util.xml.SetProperties.start(XmlMapper.java)
	at org.apache.catalina.util.xml.XmlMapper.matchStart(XmlMapper.java)
[snip]

Changing the -Xmx, -Xms and -Xss parameters, or changing the ulimit
setting makes no difference whatsoever.

As Tomcat starts up, the JVM slowly eats up about 5MB of RAM in total
(the machine has 192MB of RAM and 128MB of swap) then bombs out - there
does not seem to be a rational explanation why it should bomb out when
it does.

Has anyone seen behavior like this before? Anyone had any success with
Tomcat on a PPC before?

Regards,
Graham
minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon
					over Bourbon Street
						tonight..."

Re: Tomcat and Memory Disaster

Posted by David Frankson <df...@qwest.net>.
    I have seen something like it.  When I use Tomcat 4 (Win2k) with the
server version of the hotspot VM, I have a webapp that will cause Tomcat to
eat memory until it blows.  I don't get this problem with the client hotspot
VM.  I would try the same situation with the Sun VM and see if it happens.

Dave