Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org> on 2008/04/10 13:36:07 UTC

Use case for ${org.apache.cocoon.blocks.[BLOCK_NAME].resources} style properties

I've just started to move the deployment of blocks into a ServletContextListener
and came across a (for me) unkown feature that gives access to the path of
blocks in Spring properties:

This feature was introduced by Carsten as part of this SVN commit
http://cocoon.markmail.org/message/slrelbwbej3xyryq

And here the text from changes.xml:

<quote>
   Improved the DefaultBlockResourcesHolder to act like a
   PropertyPlaceholderConfigurer. This allows access to the path of the deployed
   blocks in the configuration files through properties like
   ${org.apache.cocoon.blocks.[BLOCK_NAME].resources}.
</quote>

What's the use case for this feature? (If there is none [anymore], I don't have
to migrate it ... ;-)  ).

Re: Use case for ${org.apache.cocoon.blocks.[BLOCK_NAME].resources} style properties

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Reinhard Poetz wrote:
> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>> Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>>>
>>> I've just started to move the deployment of blocks into a
>>> ServletContextListener and came across a (for me) unkown feature that
>>> gives access to the path of blocks in Spring properties:
>>>
>>> This feature was introduced by Carsten as part of this SVN commit
>>> http://cocoon.markmail.org/message/slrelbwbej3xyryq
>>>
>>> And here the text from changes.xml:
>>>
>>> <quote>
>>>   Improved the DefaultBlockResourcesHolder to act like a
>>>   PropertyPlaceholderConfigurer. This allows access to the path of
>>> the deployed
>>>   blocks in the configuration files through properties like
>>>   ${org.apache.cocoon.blocks.[BLOCK_NAME].resources}.
>>> </quote>
>>>
>>> What's the use case for this feature? (If there is none [anymore], I
>>> don't have to migrate it ... ;-)  ).
>>>
>> I only add features if there's a use case :)
>> This is needed for the hsqldb block to specify where the db files are
>> located.
>> But still, it should be possible to decouple this - if the servlet
>> context listener deploys the stuff and makes the map of deployed
>> blocks available, a property configurer can pick it up and still
>> replace the properties.
>
> I don't want to make the Spring configurator depend on the block
> deployer in the future.
Yepp, I totally agree; I'll make an attempt to get the configurator into
Spring itself next week.

> Is it possible to register more than one property configurer?

I think so, but I'm not 100% sure.

Carsten
--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org

Re: Use case for ${org.apache.cocoon.blocks.[BLOCK_NAME].resources} style properties

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.