Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Will Hartung <wi...@msoft.com> on 2006/06/08 03:48:19 UTC

Can't figure out where a page is coming from.

Hi all,

Tomcat 4.1.24

I'm using the sampler-server-no-examples.xml for my configuration.

Simply put, I can't find where Tomcat is serving up a file. Fundamentally, I
have this in my webapps web.xml:

  <filter-mapping>
    <filter-name>authFilter</filter-name>
    <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
  </filter-mapping>

and that filter is not seeing every single file to my application. It's not
seeing GIF, JPGs, or (notably and specifically) a special file for our app
named "template.htmlw".

But those files are being served to the browser.

Relevant config bits:

    <Engine name="Standalone" defaultHost="localhost" debug="0">
      <!-- Global logger unless overridden at lower levels -->
              prefix="catalina_log." suffix=".txt"
              timestamp="true"/>

      <!-- Because this Realm is here, an instance will be shared
globally -->

      <!-- Define the default virtual host -->
      <Host name="localhost" debug="0" appBase="webapps"
       unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true">
                 directory="logs"  prefix="localhost_access_log."
suffix=".txt"
                 pattern="common"/>
                 directory="logs"  prefix="localhost_log." suffix=".txt"
            timestamp="true"/>
      </Host>
    </Engine>

The app works fine, all of the normal pages are serving up hunky dory.

I'm only using tomcat (no apache fronting it).

The Access Log does not show any of the GIF, JPGS or my .htmlw file either.

More interesting I ran my browser through a proxy and I'm not seeing a
request to the .htmlw file, yet I KNOW that I don't do an internal Forward
to it (I actually do a redirect), but even my proxy doesn't show a log of
it. YET, the file is being served up. I see it in glowing black and white on
my browser page.

So, where are these files coming from? What part of Tomcat can be serving up
these files? Why doesn't my filter actually SEE these files (if to do
nothing else than chainFilter them).

Anyone know where I can set up a log to see these files?

I set every debug in my conf file to "5", and I see no reference to these
files. (actually, I see one -- and it's a Referrer for my htmlw file! GAH!)

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Regards,

Will Hartung
(willh@msoft.com)