Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by baran cakici <ba...@gmail.com> on 2011/04/28 17:21:58 UTC

Configuration for small Cluster

Hi Everyone,

I have a Cluster with one Master(JobTracker and NameNode - Intel Core2Duo 2
GB Ram) and four Slaves(Datanode and Tasktracker - Celeron 2 GB Ram). My
Inputdata are between 2GB-10GB and I read Inputdata in MapReduce line by
line. Now, I try to accelerate my System(Benchmark), but I'm not sure, if my
Configuration is correctly. Can you please just look, if it is ok?

-mapred-site.xml

<property>
<name>mapred.job.tracker</name>
<value>apple:9001</value>
</property>

<property>
<name>mapred.child.java.opts</name>
<value>-Xmx512m -server</value>
</property>

<property>
<name>mapred.job.tracker.handler.count</name>
<value>2</value>
</property>

<property>
<name>mapred.local.dir</name>
<value>/cygwin/usr/local/hadoop-datastore/hadoop-Baran/mapred/local</value>
</property>

<property>
<name>mapred.map.tasks</name>
<value>1</value>
</property>

<property>
<name>mapred.reduce.tasks</name>
<value>4</value>
</property>

<property>
<name>mapred.submit.replication</name>
<value>2</value>
</property>

<property>
<name>mapred.system.dir</name>
<value>/cygwin/usr/local/hadoop-datastore/hadoop-Baran/mapred/system</value>
</property>

<property>
<name>mapred.tasktracker.indexcache.mb</name>
<value>10</value>
</property>

<property>
<name>mapred.tasktracker.map.tasks.maximum</name>
<value>1</value>
</property>

<property>
<name>mapred.tasktracker.reduce.tasks.maximum</name>
<value>4</value>
</property>

<property>
<name>mapred.temp.dir</name>
<value>/cygwin/usr/local/hadoop-datastore/hadoop-Baran/mapred/temp</value>
</property>

<property>
<name>webinterface.private.actions</name>
<value>true</value>
</property>

<property>
<name>mapred.reduce.slowstart.completed.maps</name>
<value>0.01</value>
</property>

-hdfs-site.xml

<property>
<name>dfs.block.size</name>
<value>268435456</value>
</property>
PS: I extended dfs.block.size, because I won 50% better performance with
this change.

I am waiting for your comments...

Regards,

Baran

Re: Configuration for small Cluster

Posted by baran cakici <ba...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Actually it is not about security level of Linux. They use some Application
for Security that just with Windows compatible, it was about that. I am not
against to Linux too :)

Regards,

Baran

Posted by hadoopman <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by baran cakici <ba...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by hadoopman <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Seigel <ja...@tynt.com>.
I am talking about unix swapping of memory out to disk when the Os
runs low on ram.  If it is doing this you will get abysmal
performance.

With small amount of ram in your boxes, and you number of mappers and
reduces totaling 5 with child opts of 512mb you have a scenario when
you can OOM the box.

To be fair I didn't go too deep into your settings.

James

Sent from my mobile. Please excuse the typos.

Posted by baran cakici <ba...@gmail.com>.
Hi James,

Posted by James Seigel <ja...@tynt.com>.

Posted by baran cakici <ba...@gmail.com>.
any comments???

Posted by baran cakici <ba...@gmail.com>.
any comments???

Posted by Richard Nadeau <st...@gmail.com>.
(Phones are fun)

With your setting of -Xmx512m for "mapred.child.java.opts" you don't have
enough RAM for 4 reduce tasks. If you have single core Celerons, you also
don't have enough CPU cores to run all four.

You might also try kicking -Xmx512m down to -Xmx256m and see if things run
OK.

Rick

Posted by baran cakici <ba...@gmail.com>.
Hi Matthew,

At some test situations ended my Map-Process, than I was waiting for
ReduceCopy, Therefore I changed this option, If it starts early, than finish
the ReduceCopy early too. I
think, mapred.reduce.slowstart.completed.maps for all Reduce Process(inc.
Sort and shuffle), but I'm not sure for that.If it is not, than you are
right.

I connected my computers with a Gigaset-Switch  (Ethernet connection)

Regards,

Baran

Posted by "GOEKE, MATTHEW [AG/1000]" <ma...@monsanto.com>.

Posted by baran cakici <ba...@gmail.com>.