Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Pradeep Fernando <pr...@gmail.com> on 2013/04/15 06:28:47 UTC

MQTT transport for Axis2

Hi Devs,

MQTT is an application layer broker based pub/sub protocol built on top of
TCP/IP. It is very lightweight and hence ideal for usage in
network/memory/computing power constrained environments. If I quote the
MQTT spec, the protocol features,

   1. Pub/Sub message pattern
   2. Small transport overhead, fixed length header being only 2 bytes
   3. Supports three QOS for message delivery, at-least once, exactly once
   and at-most once.

The ability to operate under constrained environment make this protocol an
ideal candidate for embedded device communication/pervasive computing.

I managed to implement a working axis2 transport using MQTT java client
library provided by Eclipse Paho project.  The code can be found at [1]. I
have also written a blog post to get the code up and running [2]

I would like to contribute/Improve the new transport to Axis2/Synapse. How
should I proceed.
appreciate your feedback.

[1] https://github.com/pradeepfdo/mqtt-transport
[2]
http://pradeepfernando.blogspot.com/2013/04/mqtt-transport-for-axis2synapse.html

thanks,
--Pradeep

Re: MQTT transport for Axis2

Posted by Pradeep Fernando <pr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sagara,

Thanks for the feedback.
Will create a proper patch against the axis2 trunk and attach. Yes I have
to work on test cases. Will start working on that aspect as well.

thanks,
--Pradeep

On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 9:35 PM, Sagara Gunathunga <
sagara.gunathunga@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 9:58 AM, Pradeep Fernando <pr...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi Devs,
>>
>> MQTT is an application layer broker based pub/sub protocol built on top
>> of TCP/IP. It is very lightweight and hence ideal for usage in
>> network/memory/computing power constrained environments. If I quote the
>> MQTT spec, the protocol features,
>>
>>    1. Pub/Sub message pattern
>>    2. Small transport overhead, fixed length header being only 2 bytes
>>    3. Supports three QOS for message delivery, at-least once, exactly
>>    once and at-most once.
>>
>> The ability to operate under constrained environment make this protocol
>> an ideal candidate for embedded device communication/pervasive computing.
>>
>> I managed to implement a working axis2 transport using MQTT java client
>> library provided by Eclipse Paho project.  The code can be found at [1]. I
>> have also written a blog post to get the code up and running [2]
>>
>> I would like to contribute/Improve the new transport to Axis2/Synapse.
>> How should I proceed.
>> appreciate your feedback.
>>

> This can be a good addition to Axis2 transport module. I'm not quite sure
> about EPL ( which used by the Eclipse Paho) is compatible with Apache if
> there is no issue then you can contribute your codes to Axis2 project.
> Please create a JIRA and attach your SVN patch against current trunk. One
> thing I noticed is you have to provide more test cases for this transport
> implementation.
>
> Thanks !
>

>> [1] https://github.com/pradeepfdo/mqtt-transport
>> [2]