Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Ernie Ong <er...@iss.nus.edu.sg> on 2001/05/16 03:07:47 UTC

What /is/ Axis?

Hi,

I am deeply interested in Axis from the various sources I've gleaned
from.

However, I fail to find a clear statement of what exactly Axis is at
your site. There is already a SOAP project at Apache-XML, so where does
Axis fit it; how does it make sense given the SOAP activity at
Apache-XML?

Does it address the larger picture of web services and a complete-ish
SOAP framework, much like how Cocoon aims to address web publishing with
XML? (rather than simply being a SOAP system)

And what is the current status? I notice that little has changed for a
while.

In particular, depending on my workload, I'd like to get involved.

Thanks.

cheers,
ernie.

Re: What /is/ Axis?

Posted by Rob Jellinghaus <ro...@unrealities.com>.
At 09:07 AM 5/16/2001 +0800, Ernie Ong wrote:
>However, I fail to find a clear statement of what exactly Axis is at
>your site. There is already a SOAP project at Apache-XML, so where does
>Axis fit it; how does it make sense given the SOAP activity at
>Apache-XML?

I'm a Johnny-come-lately to the Axis project, but my impression is that
Axis is a rewrite of Apache SOAP with at least the following goals:
- better modularity
- better performance (already about 4x Apache performance, by one data
point anyway)
- better extensibility

The current Apache SOAP activity seems to be more in maintenance mode.  A
fair number of the Apache SOAP developers are now working on Axis.

>Does it address the larger picture of web services and a complete-ish
>SOAP framework, much like how Cocoon aims to address web publishing with
>XML? (rather than simply being a SOAP system)

It's mostly a SOAP system, but there are rumblings of WSDL support..

>And what is the current status? I notice that little has changed for a
>while.

Things seem to be getting rolling again, with Glen pushing :-)

>In particular, depending on my workload, I'd like to get involved.

Take a look at Glen's todo list (recently posted) and respond!  I've jumped
in to the transport stuff because I am very interested in publish/subscribe
SOAP and working on Axis seems the quickest way to get there
(open-source-wise, anyway).

Cheers,
Rob