Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Schultz, Gary - COMM" <GS...@commerce.state.wi.us> on 2006/05/25 17:06:51 UTC

RE: [users@httpd] configure: error: OpenSSL headers not found Apa che 2.0.58

Initially, I had the same problem when I installed openssl in the default
location, /usr/local/ssl. I decided to build apache with ssl installed in a
non-default location and configured Apache to use ssl from this location.
For example, configure openssl as such:

./config --prefix=/ssl --openssldir=/ssl/openssl --shared

run make, make test and make install.

Configure apache to build using openssl from your location, something like:

./configure --enable-so --enable-ssl --with-ssl=/ssl (plus any other
options)

I think the key is the --with-ssl=(ssl directory) option. You probably could
install openssl in the default location and set --with-ssl to that location
and it should work.

Anyway, this gave me my first successful build of Apache 2.2.2 with ssl. Not
sure if it is the best way to do this, but for now it works.

Gary T. Schultz
IT Administrator
Wisconsin Department of Commerce
201 W. Washington Ave
Madison, WI 53214
608-266-1283
 <ma...@commerce.state.wi.us> gschultz@commerce.state.wi.us

  _____

Posted by Rainer Sokoll <R....@intershop.de>.
On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 10:06:51AM -0500, Schultz, Gary - COMM wrote:

> ./configure --enable-so --enable-ssl --with-ssl=/ssl (plus any other
> options)
>
> I think the key is the --with-ssl=(ssl directory) option. You probably could
> install openssl in the default location and set --with-ssl to that location
> and it should work.
>
> Anyway, this gave me my first successful build of Apache 2.2.2 with ssl. Not
> sure if it is the best way to do this, but for now it works.

Just for the records:
If your distribution includes openssl and has the openssl libs somewhere
either in LD_LIBRARY_PATH or the linker cache (Linux: /etc/ld.so.cache,
configured in /etc/ld.so.conf), then make sure that you point
LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the openssl libs you really want to use with your
apache prior to fire up httpd. For example, you could set
LD_LIBRARY_PATH in your startup script.

Rainer