Posted to user@jclouds.apache.org by BrianCarroll <bc...@marlin.ie> on 2014/06/22 23:00:10 UTC

LBaaS in OpenStack

Hi All,

What are my options for using LBaaS via jclouds? I would like to add new
compute/nova nodes to an LBaaS pool. [1]
Is the Rackspace LoadBalancer api  compatible with OpenStack?
I have read this post [2] but am wondering if anything has changed since
then.

Many thanks

Brian.

[1] Validation https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Neutron/LBaaS/HowToRun
[2]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/jclouds-user/201402.mbox/browser

Re: LBaaS in OpenStack

Posted by Everett Toews <ev...@RACKSPACE.COM>.
On Jun 23, 2014, at 2:26 PM, BrianCarroll <bc...@marlin.ie>> wrote:

Thanks Everett. I will log a JIRA.

Apologies for the newbie question but if an extension API isn't implemented
in JClouds yet, is there any other way to access that API (LBaaS) via
JClouds.

You would have to write the code to support what you need from the API yourself. Your best might be to resurrect some of the code from this old pull request that has LBaaS support [1] in Neutron. You would just need to pick out the LBaaS pieces that you need and compile it into your app. This would be the closest to the jclouds way of doing it.

An alternative to that would be to take a JAX-RS library like Jersey, RESTEasy, or Restlet and use those to write the code to support what you need from the LBaaS API. This would be a lot more work as you would be able to reuse all of the authentication and general OpenStack wrangling that jclouds already handles for you.

Everett

[1] https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-labs-openstack/pull/44/

RE: LBaaS in OpenStack

Posted by BrianCarroll <bc...@marlin.ie>.
Thanks Everett. I will log a JIRA.

Apologies for the newbie question but if an extension API isn't implemented
in JClouds yet, is there any other way to access that API (LBaaS) via
JClouds.
That is, I would like to utilise the context and compute functionality of
JClouds but also use OpenStack LBaaS API methods from the same class file.
I know I'll lose portability but for the moment this is not a problem.

Brian.

> What are my options for using LBaaS via jclouds? I would like to add
> new compute/nova nodes to an LBaaS pool. [1] Is the Rackspace
> LoadBalancer api  compatible with OpenStack?

No. They're different APIs and not compatible (though they are similar).

The LBaaS API is an extension in Neutron and hasn't been implemented in
jclouds yet. Currently the Neutron code is undergoing some refactoring [1]
and we'll be able to support more extension APIs once that's complete.

Please feel free to create a JIRA issue for this feature request so we can
track it [2].

Thanks,
Everett

[1] https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-labs-openstack/pull/111