Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Bill Landry <bi...@pointshare.com> on 2004/11/01 02:30:10 UTC

Nice URIDNSBL functionality

Folks, with some of the nice functionality that the SA devs built into the
URIDNSBL plug-in (see
http://spamassassin.apache.org/full/3.0.x/dist/doc/Mail_SpamAssassin_Plugin_URIDNSBL.html),
you can do cool things like:

=====
# URIDNSBL (queries URIs against standard DNSBLs)

uridnsbl  URIBL_AH_DNSBL dnsbl.ahbl.org.   TXT
body      URIBL_AH_DNSBL eval:check_uridnsbl('URIBL_AH_DNSBL')
describe  URIBL_AH_DNSBL Contains a URL listed in the AH DNSBL blocklist
tflags    URIBL_AH_DNSBL net
score     URIBL_AH_DNSBL 0.5

uridnsbl  URIBL_NJA_DNSBL combined.njabl.org.   TXT
body      URIBL_NJA_DNSBL eval:check_uridnsbl('URIBL_NJA_DNSBL')
describe  URIBL_NJA_DNSBL Contains a URL listed in the NJA DNSBL blocklist
tflags    URIBL_NJA_DNSBL net
score     URIBL_NJA_DNSBL 0.5

uridnsbl  URIBL_SBL_XBL sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org.   TXT
body      URIBL_SBL_XBL eval:check_uridnsbl('URIBL_SBL_XBL')
describe  URIBL_SBL_XBL Contains a URL listed in the SBL-XBL DNSBL blocklist
tflags    URIBL_SBL_XBL net
score     URIBL_SBL_XBL 0.5

uridnsbl  URIBL_SORBS_DNSBL dnsbl.sorbs.net.   TXT
body      URIBL_SORBS_DNSBL eval:check_uridnsbl('URIBL_SORBS_DNSBL')
describe  URIBL_SORBS_DNSBL Contains a URL listed in the SORBS DNSBL
blocklist
tflags    URIBL_SORBS_DNSBL net
score     URIBL_SORBS_DNSBL 0.5

# URIRHSBL (queries URIs against standard RHSBLs)

urirhsbl  URIBL_AH_RHSBL rhsbl.ahbl.org.   A
body      URIBL_AH_RHSBL eval:check_uridnsbl('URIBL_AH_RHSBL')
describe  URIBL_AH_RHSBL Contains a URL listed in the AH RHSBL blocklist
tflags    URIBL_AH_RHSBL net
score     URIBL_AH_RHSBL 0.5

urirhsbl  URIBL_MP_RHSBL block.rhs.mailpolice.com.   A
body      URIBL_MP_RHSBL eval:check_uridnsbl('URIBL_MP_RHSBL')
describe  URIBL_MP_RHSBL Contains a URL listed in the MP RHSBL blocklist
tflags    URIBL_MP_RHSBL net
score     URIBL_MP_RHSBL 0.5

urirhsbl  URIBL_SS_RHSBL blackhole.securitysage.com.   A
body      URIBL_SS_RHSBL eval:check_uridnsbl('URIBL_SS_RHSBL')
describe  URIBL_SS_RHSBL Contains a URL listed in the SS RHSBL blocklist
tflags    URIBL_SS_RHSBL net
score     URIBL_SS_RHSBL 0.5
=====

I have been running these additional URI tests for about two weeks and have
gotten very good results.  If you decide to try out these tests, you may
want to run them with minimal scores until you see how they are going to
perform for you in your particular environment.

Bill

Re: [SURBL-Discuss] Nice URIDNSBL functionality

Posted by Bill Landry <bi...@pointshare.com>.
> > the

http://spamassassin.apache.org/full/3.0.x/dist/doc/Mail_SpamAssassin_Plugin_URIDNSBL.html),

> > have
>
> >> Will these lookups also work with SA 2.6x/SpamcopURI ?
>
> > Alex, I'm sure it would work fine for the RHSBLs (in fact, I was using
> > SpamcopURI against the MailPolice RHSBL before upgrading to SA 3.0.x),
but
> > probably will not for the DNSBLs, since I don't think it supports the
> > functionality of doing a DNS lookup on the URI and then querying the
DNSBL
> > with the IP address (instead of the domain) like the URIDNSBL plug-in
does.

> It may be worth pointing out that uridnsbl does not look up the
> IP address of the URI against RBLs, but the IP address of the
> URI domain's *name server*.  It's not the same thing as checking
> the web server against an RBL, but looking up name servers is
> quite effective if the RBL contains some addresses of spammer
> name servers, as sbl.spamhaus.org definitely does.

Yes, thanks for clarifying!

Bill

Re: less header information

Posted by Bill Landry <bi...@pointshare.com>.

Posted by Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org>.
On Sunday, October 31, 2004, 11:24:33 PM, Bill Landry wrote:
> [...]

Jeff C.

Re: [SURBL-Discuss] Nice URIDNSBL functionality

Posted by Bill Landry <bi...@pointshare.com>.