Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Arnaud MERGEY <am...@sunopsis.com> on 2007/01/08 12:07:39 UTC

something wrong creating datasource after war deployement

Hi
something strange appends with an application
On tomcat 5.5.20 (same behavior with tomcat 5.5.17)

I deploy an application copying an unpacked war directory into webapps
directory. I add a datasource updating the META-INF/context.xml and
WEB-INF/web.xml like tomcat how-to. All works perfectly, no problems.

In another tomcat I copy the war of the same application in the webapps,
the war is unpacked . I add the datasource updating the
META-INF/context.xml and WEB-INF/web.xml and I can't use this datasource
: "org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot create JDBC
driver of class '' for connect URL 'null'"

witth windiff I compare the two directory and they are identical, the
only differences is in one the webapps directry has only the unpacked
directory and the other has unpacked and war directory.

I need help to understand, thanks
Arnaud

Re: something wrong creating datasource after war deployement

Posted by David Delbecq <de...@oma.be>.
The context.xml inside war will anyway override any custom datasrouces
your may have created after previous deployment, so i think it's not a
viable issue to use both (one will anyway always override the other).

Maybe you can configure your custom datasource at server level (server.xml)?
En l'instant précis du 01/08/07 14:25, Arnaud MERGEY s'exprimait dans
toute sa noblesse:

Posted by Arnaud MERGEY <am...@sunopsis.com>.
thnaks for all,
it's clear for me now.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Arnaud MERGEY [mailto:amergey@sunopsis.com]
> Subject: Re: something wrong creating datasource after war deployement
>
> I updated the META-INF/context.xml in the unpacked directory,

You need to update the one in conf/Catalina/[host], since that overrides
the ones in the .war and the unpacked directory.

> this is strange because when I update the META-INF/context.xml, I can
> see newly  datasources in the tomcat admin webapps (but with blank
> driver class and url info).

It wouldn't surprise me if Tomcat is doing some merging of the two
<Context> elements, rather than enforcing a complete override.

> If I update META-INF/context.xml in application without war file in
> webapps, everything works and I can see newly  datasources in
> the tomcat admin webapps with driver class and url.

Tomcat automatically creates the conf/Catalina/[host]/[appname].xml file
from META-INF/context.xml only when deploying apps packaged in .war
files, regardless of the setting of unpackWARs; it does not create one
in the conf directory for apps that are deployed in an unpacked form,
although you may place your own in conf/Catalina/[host] to override the
one in META-INF.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.

Re: something wrong creating datasource after war deployement

Posted by Arnaud MERGEY <am...@sunopsis.com>.
thanks,

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by Arnaud MERGEY <am...@sunopsis.com>.

Posted by David Delbecq <de...@oma.be>.

Posted by Arnaud MERGEY <am...@sunopsis.com>.
Thanks for reply, my db is Oracle 9i
The problem isn't a security or driver problem, I have tested also in
the same tomcat, in webapps:
- Cpying the unpacked version only, modify context and web.xml, all
works perfectly.
- Removing in the same tomcat the application, copying the war file and
modify context.xml and web.xml in the unpacked directory, I have the

org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot
create JDBC driver of class '' for connect URL 'null'

- Removing the war and copying the unpacked version only, modify context

Posted by David Delbecq <de...@oma.be>.

Posted by Gregor Schneider <rc...@googlemail.com>.
Check if there are any differencesx in the directories

- $CATALINA_HOME/server/lib
- $CATALINA_HOME/common/lib
- $CATALINA_HOME/shared/lib

My guess is, that in one of those directories there's a jar-file
containing the database driver that is missing in your other
Tomcat-installation.

BTW., what dbms are you using?

Cheers

Greg
gpgp-fp: 79A84FA526807026795E4209D3B3FE028B3170B2