Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Simon Willnauer <si...@googlemail.com> on 2006/11/08 12:36:31 UTC

ThirdParty Jars in GData

Hi all,
I just started to work on the todo list @ GData Server to add Admin
Interface and some major refactoring. GData server will be based on
the Apache Hivemind Microkernel and will make extensive use of these
libs including hive-utils and the hessian webservice integration
(caucho.com). Even apache hivemind includes a couple of third - party
jars like javaassist.jar which is also distributed in the release. So
I'm a bit curious about the fact that non ASF - licenced jars are
included in asf products.
In the end there will be a couple of jars I need for the GData server
at least at runtime. ASF Jars like hivemind core and libs won't be a
problem inside the svn repos. But whats the best way to get the other
jars. I had a look at the hivemind build file, they defined a macro to
fetch the jars from http://www.ibiblio.org/. This seems to be a nice
solution to fetch these jars via a simple ant get task.

Any other ideas / suggestions?

regards simon

Re: ThirdParty Jars in GData

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
OK, disclaimer first: I'm not a lawyer and I am not 100% sure on all
of this, but here are some things I found while digging into this:

I did some digging and there is a _DRAFT_ policy at http://
people.apache.org/~cliffs/3party.html

See also:
http://www.apache.org/legal/
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/
(particularly March of 2006, where the draft policy was first discussed.

I don't know if any of this answers your question or not.  Your best
bet, most likely, is to start with the ANT download approach.  You
might also want to indicate what the licenses are of the other
libraries, so that others with more knowledge could give you more info.

Also, check how contrib/db/bdb does it, which uses Berkeley DB, which
is under the Sleepycat license, which is one of the licenses
_excluded_ by the draft above.  I am not saying this means it is
correctly done, just that there is some precedent for it.

-Grant

On Nov 8, 2006, at 6:36 AM, Simon Willnauer wrote:

> Hi all,
> I just started to work on the todo list @ GData Server to add Admin
> Interface and some major refactoring. GData server will be based on
> the Apache Hivemind Microkernel and will make extensive use of these
> libs including hive-utils and the hessian webservice integration
> (caucho.com). Even apache hivemind includes a couple of third - party
> jars like javaassist.jar which is also distributed in the release. So
> I'm a bit curious about the fact that non ASF - licenced jars are
> included in asf products.
> In the end there will be a couple of jars I need for the GData server
> at least at runtime. ASF Jars like hivemind core and libs won't be a
> problem inside the svn repos. But whats the best way to get the other
> jars. I had a look at the hivemind build file, they defined a macro to
> fetch the jars from http://www.ibiblio.org/. This seems to be a nice
> solution to fetch these jars via a simple ant get task.
>

> Any other ideas / suggestions?
>
> regards simon

Grant Ingersoll
Sr. Software Engineer