Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Thomas Julian <th...@zoho.com> on 2016/10/21 04:41:54 UTC

How to throttle up/down compactions without a restart

Hello,

I was going through this presentation and the Slide-55 caught my attention.

i.e) "Throttled down compactions during high load period, throttled up during low load period"

Can we throttle down compactions without a restart?

If this can be done, what are all the parameters(JMX?) to work with? How to implement this for below Compaction Strategies.

Size Tiered Compaction Strategy.

Leveled Compaction Strategy

Any help is much appreciated.

Best Regards,

Julian.

Re: How to throttle up/down compactions without a restart

Posted by Jeff Jirsa <je...@crowdstrike.com>.
You can also set concurrent compactors through JMX – in the CompactionManager mbean, you have CoreCompactionThreads and MaxCompactionThreads – you can adjust them at runtime, but do it in an order such that Max is always higher than Core

From: kurt Greaves <ku...@instaclustr.com>
Date: Thursday, October 20, 2016 at 9:54 PM
To: "user@cassandra.apache.org" <us...@cassandra.apache.org>, "thomasjulian@zoho.com" <th...@zoho.com>
Subject: Re: How to throttle up/down compactions without a restart

You can throttle compactions using nodetool setcompactionthroughput <x>.

Where x is in mbps. If you're using 2.2 or later this applies immediately to all running compactions, otherwise it applies on any "new" compactions.  You will want to be careful of allowing compactions to utilise too much disk bandwidth. If you're needing to alter this in peak periods you may be starting to overload your nodes with writes, or potentially something else is not ideal like memtables flushing too frequently.

Kurt Greaves

kurt@instaclustr.com

www.instaclustr.com

On 21 October 2016 at 04:41, Thomas Julian <th...@zoho.com> wrote:

Hello,

I was going through this presentation and the Slide-55 caught my attention.

i.e) "Throttled down compactions during high load period, throttled up during low load period"

Can we throttle down compactions without a restart?

If this can be done, what are all the parameters(JMX?) to work with? How to implement this for below Compaction Strategies.

Size Tiered Compaction Strategy.
Leveled Compaction Strategy
Any help is much appreciated.

Best Regards,

Julian.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, do not disclose, copy, distribute, or use this email or any attachments. If you have received this in error please let the sender know and then delete the email and all attachments.

Re: How to throttle up/down compactions without a restart

Posted by kurt Greaves <ku...@instaclustr.com>.