Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Linus Nikander <li...@nikander.net> on 2003/12/03 18:56:00 UTC

How extensively can/is Struts used ?

I was wondering how far it is recommended to "keep" using struts when
displaying information. Two examples might make it clearer about where I'm
having trouble deciding.

For instance, I've got lots of forms on my site, I use Struts for all of
them, love the extra functionality and the "one way of doing things" that
Struts gives me.

Then I have lots of "display information only"-pages. Most of these are
tables that are based on some sort of DB table. Right now I:
Call a struts Action.
The Action retrieves the data, populates a boatload of Beans.
The Beans are stuffed into a List, which in turn is put into a List which
resides in my Form.
The jsp retrieves the Form.
The jsp performs a <logic:iterate id="bean" name="myForm" property="myList"
indexId="i"></logic:iterate>
The information is output with a lot of bean:write's

Although this approach appeals to me in some ways (nice separation of
concerns DB / Business-layer / Display for instance) it also seems a bit
over the top at times. I could easily accomplish the same display by letting
the .jsp do the talking with the DB. Or perhaps let a servlet do it all for
me.

My question is, do you guys use the above described method when only
displaying information too ? Could this eventually become a performace
bottleneck (maybe due the large amount of Beans being created) ? Is there
perhaps a better variation of the above that I've missed ?

All points of view welcome.

//Linus Nikander - linus@nikander.net

Re: Integration with Reporting Systems (was: How extensively can/is Struts used ?)

Posted by Manish Singla <Ma...@Sun.COM>.
Because of following problem and other primary factors, I know a team
which is using .NET for frontend and J2EE for backend. .NET has some
components to meet these kind of needs.:-(.
May be JSF can handle this issue. Thus, somebody wrote a component to
show reports and one can configure renderer..

Manish Singla

Kirk Wylie wrote:
> See below.
>
> Linus Nikander wrote:
>
>> Then I have lots of "display information only"-pages. Most of these are
>> tables that are based on some sort of DB table. Right now I:
>> Call a struts Action.
>> The Action retrieves the data, populates a boatload of Beans.
>> The Beans are stuffed into a List, which in turn is put into a List which
>> resides in my Form.
>> The jsp retrieves the Form.
>> The jsp performs a <logic:iterate id="bean" name="myForm"
>> property="myList"
>> indexId="i"></logic:iterate>
>> The information is output with a lot of bean:write's
>>
>> Although this approach appeals to me in some ways (nice separation of
>> concerns DB / Business-layer / Display for instance) it also seems a bit
>> over the top at times. I could easily accomplish the same display by
>> letting
>> the .jsp do the talking with the DB. Or perhaps let a servlet do it
>> all for
>> me.
>

> This raises an interesting point, which I've not run into yet.
>
> This is often solved in a non-Struts application by having a "reporting"
> facility which is used to do the analysis/pure-display pages (i.e. ones
> which have minimal interaction with the rest of hte application, but
> which create a lot of heavy-lifting reports). That facility is often
> provided by a third-party package such as Crystal Reports.
>
> Does anybody have any experience integrating a Struts application with a
> third-party package like that? Any tips? I'm curious because some of the
> stuff I work on may have that type of requirement (big report pages) in
> the future, and we've got people that are experienced with Crystal
> Reports, so if I can easily integrate that into the technology stack I'd
> love to.
>
> Kirk Wylie
> M7 Corporation

Thanks
Manish Singla
x73166

Integration with Reporting Systems (was: How extensively can/is Struts used ?)

Posted by Kirk Wylie <kw...@m7.com>.
See below.

Re: How extensively can/is Struts used ?

Posted by Manish Singla <Ma...@Sun.COM>.
 > Then I have lots of "display information only"-pages. Most of these are
 > tables that are based on some sort of DB table.
 > Although this approach appeals to me in some ways (nice separation of
 > concerns DB / Business-layer / Display for instance) it also seems a bit
 > over the top at times. I could easily accomplish the same display by
letting
 > the .jsp do the talking with the DB. Or perhaps let a servlet do it
all for
 > me.

I agree with you that MVC solution for every problem seems a bit over
the top.
Although, it is written everywhere that MVC is cooool,..:-) but even I
see FEW cases like yours.