Posted to users@jena.apache.org by Laura Morales <la...@mail.com> on 2018/05/22 14:43:37 UTC

Nodes without dereferenceable URIs

How can I deal with a RDF graph where I don't have dereferenceable URIs, but still need the URIs to link with other graphs? For example if I have a personal graph of documents that I only need to use for myself, what URIs should I use?

Blank nodes?

_:document1
_:document2
_:document3

or do I make my own URNs?

<urn:mybooks:title:document1>
<urn:mybooks:title:document2>
<urn:mybooks:title:document3>

what other solutions are available?

Re: Nodes without dereferenceable URIs

Posted by Conal Tuohy <co...@gmail.com>.
I agree using HTTP URIs is not good practice in any environment where
people might expect to dereference them. For a purely local system, though,
you would be the only one inconvenienced, and you could always add a web
server to provide that service later, if you felt the need for it.

Otherwise, a different URI scheme is the answer. What I usually use in such
cases is the "tag:" URI scheme: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4151

--
Conal Tuohy
http://conaltuohy.com/

Re: Nodes without dereferenceable URIs

Posted by Laura Morales <la...@mail.com>.
> Maybe you can tell us more about your use case(s) and the workflow(s) with which you expect to use this data?

A graph of my own documents, books, papers, that I have on my computer.

Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 at 4:34 PM
From: ajs6f <aj...@apache.org>
To: users@jena.apache.org
Subject: Re: Nodes without dereferenceable URIs
Maybe you can tell us more about your use case(s) and the workflow(s) with which you expect to use this data?

There is no general best practice here, but there are techniques that are better and worse for some given situation.

ajs6f

> On May 23, 2018, at 10:31 AM, Laura Morales <la...@mail.com> wrote:
>
> I could do that, but can it be considered good practice? Other approaches are
>
> - make my own URI scheme, for example <mydocs:name/doc1>
> - make my own URN NID like <urn:mydocs:doc1> but NIDs are supposed to be registered
> - the info: scheme has been deprecated, so I should not use <info:mydocs/doc1>
>
> I don't think RDF is providing any "best practices" suggestions or guidelines for a scenario like this, and it's pretty frustrating because not all data need to be dereferenceable and not all data need to have a universally unique ID such as ISBN or telephone number...
>

> Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 at 3:26 PM
> From: ajs6f <aj...@apache.org>
> To: users@jena.apache.org
> Subject: Re: Nodes without dereferenceable URIs
> Can you use HTTP URIs that simply don't point to an actual server? (E.g. http://lauras.namespace/blah/blah/blah)
>
> If no one tries to dereference them, it's fine if they don't work. If someone might try to dereference them, that's when you might have problems.
>
> ajs6f
>
>> On May 22, 2018, at 2:01 PM, Olivier Rossel <ol...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Don't use blank nodes. You will regret it in the long run.
>>
>> On Tue, May 22, 2018 at 4:43 PM, Laura Morales <la...@mail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> How can I deal with a RDF graph where I don't have dereferenceable URIs,
>>> but still need the URIs to link with other graphs? For example if I have a
>>> personal graph of documents that I only need to use for myself, what URIs
>>> should I use?
>>>
>>> Blank nodes?
>>>
>>> _:document1
>>> _:document2

Posted by ajs6f <aj...@apache.org>.
Maybe you can tell us more about your use case(s) and the workflow(s) with which you expect to use this data?

There is no general best practice here, but there are techniques that are better and worse for some given situation.

ajs6f

> On May 23, 2018, at 10:31 AM, Laura Morales <la...@mail.com> wrote:
>
> I could do that, but can it be considered good practice? Other approaches are
>
> - make my own URI scheme, for example <mydocs:name/doc1>
> - make my own URN NID like <urn:mydocs:doc1> but NIDs are supposed to be registered
> - the info: scheme has been deprecated, so I should not use <info:mydocs/doc1>
>
> I don't think RDF is providing any "best practices" suggestions or guidelines for a scenario like this, and it's pretty frustrating because not all data need to be dereferenceable and not all data need to have a universally unique ID such as ISBN or telephone number...
>

> Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 at 3:26 PM
> From: ajs6f <aj...@apache.org>
> To: users@jena.apache.org
> Subject: Re: Nodes without dereferenceable URIs
> Can you use HTTP URIs that simply don't point to an actual server? (E.g. http://lauras.namespace/blah/blah/blah)
>
> If no one tries to dereference them, it's fine if they don't work. If someone might try to dereference them, that's when you might have problems.
>
> ajs6f
>
>> On May 22, 2018, at 2:01 PM, Olivier Rossel <ol...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Don't use blank nodes. You will regret it in the long run.
>>
>> On Tue, May 22, 2018 at 4:43 PM, Laura Morales <la...@mail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> How can I deal with a RDF graph where I don't have dereferenceable URIs,
>>> but still need the URIs to link with other graphs? For example if I have a
>>> personal graph of documents that I only need to use for myself, what URIs
>>> should I use?
>>>
>>> Blank nodes?
>>>
>>> _:document1
>>> _:document2