Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "Gary W. Smith" <ga...@primeexalia.com> on 2005/10/17 23:59:48 UTC

AWL maintenance...

I just though I'd share this with everyone.

I noticed that our backend MySQL data instance was running a little slow
recently with more of a load on it.  This instance is shared between 4
front end servers so I figured maybe we were getting a little more of a
load.  It turns out that AWL had a couple million entries in it.  This
was understandable as we process a lot of mail.

What I discovered though was 90% of the emails were one time emails.
Weather spam or ham, they were one time.  So we decided to clean it
using a basic rule (2 or less emails with an average score above our
threshold of 5 --- i.e a totscore of 10 or higher and a count < 3).

i.e. SELECT count(*) FROM `awl` WHERE count < 3 and totscore > 10

so we ended up deleting the 90% using:

DELETE  FROM `awl` WHERE count < 3 and totscore > 10

We noticed that the overall load dropped a lot.  I think it was just the
sheer number of rows that caused our initial slowness.

I know there are others out there running AWL with MySQL.  So I figure
eventually they will hit the same issue.

(crontab now... once a month).

Gary