Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Gilcan Machado <gi...@gmail.com> on 2017/12/07 13:55:44 UTC

Where can I find documentation to migrate Solr 4 to 5?

Hi.

I have a Solr 4 in production (+ Drupal).

And I want to migrate Solr to versoin 7 (at the end).

But I guess  it's more safe to migrate from 4 to 5 first.

Anyway, I'm searching a lot and I couldn't find a documentation that shows
how to pick a Solr 4 (in full production) and upgrade to a Solr 5.

[]s
Gil

Re: Where can I find documentation to migrate Solr 4 to 5?

Posted by Gilcan Machado <gi...@gmail.com>.
Jesus...!!!! Thank you very much!!!

[]s
Gil

Posted by Markus Jelsma <ma...@openindex.io>.

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 12/7/2017 6:55 AM, Gilcan Machado wrote:
> I have a Solr 4 in production (+ Drupal).
>
> And I want to migrate Solr to versoin 7 (at the end).
>
> But I guess  it's more safe to migrate from 4 to 5 first.
>
> Anyway, I'm searching a lot and I couldn't find a documentation that shows
> how to pick a Solr 4 (in full production) and upgrade to a Solr 5.

The approach that I personally would use for this scenario is to create
a new config/schema for 7.x (either based on the 7.x examples, or
received from whoever wrote the Solr plugin for Drupal), upgrade
directly to the final version, and reindex from scratch into a fresh index.

Compared to version 4, version 7 is a VERY significant upgrade, and it
is likely that at some point in the 4>5>6>7 upgrade process that you're
going to want to change something that's going to require a reindex
anyway.  There's even a good chance that you'll be FORCED to do a
reindex, because something in your config/schema might not work in a
newer version.  Whether you're forced into a reindex would depend on how
your indexes are configured.  In three major versions, a lot of older
functionality gets removed, so many 4.x configs will not work in 7.x.
Many of the changes that are required to successfully upgrade are NOT
compatible with an existing index.

I have never used Drupal, but their Solr plugin probably has an option
to reindex the entire database for situations where the old index is
missing or doesn't have the right info in it.

Thanks,
Shawn