Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Marat Nepomnyashy <ma...@kemperent.com> on 2001/10/12 20:08:56 UTC

Running Tomcat 4.0 SSL on one unix box with different certificates for each virtual host.

Hi,

We have a unix box on which we run several shopping cart sites, each under
a different virtual domain name, i.e. each site has its own virtual host
on the same machine.

Each site uses SSL on port 8443 for secure credit card and password
transactions.

As far as I know each unique domain name requires a unique security
certificate made specifically for that domain name.  The name field of
the security certificate must exactly match the domain name of the
website, otherwise, browser throws a fuss.

The security certificate sent by Tomcat is generated by command:

keytool -genkey -alias tomcat -keyalg RSA

But the problem is that there can be only 1 security certificate
with a given alias, so the following error message is printed:

keytool error: java.lang.Exception: Key pair not generated, alias <tomcat>
already exists

Does anybody know how to have several security certificates, one for each
virtual domain name?

Sincerely,
Marat