Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Rodrigo Ruiz <rr...@gridsystems.com> on 2008/08/18 12:59:05 UTC

Revision of the Apache Addressing project

Hi everybody,

I am currently working on the integration of several web and grid
service client frameworks (GT4, UNICORE, GRIA, OGSA-DAI, Fura, ...)
trying to use them from the same JVM.

All of these projects have Axis 1.x as a common denominator, and all of
them use custom versions of the Apache Addressing library.
Unfortunately, each project has performed a different set of
modifications on the library, and the resulting versions are not compatible.

I know the Apache Addressing project was closed several years ago, and
now it can only be found in the archives of the apache repository. I
have looked at the modifications of some of the above commented
projects, and found out that it is possible to create a single version
that would work for all of them. My understanding is that such a library
would be of interest to a moderately large community, as many of these
frameworks will not move to Axis2 in at least one or two years.

So, this post is for asking three questions:

* Would anybody involved in any of the mentioned projects like to
collaborate in creating a single, common library that matches their needs?
* Is it OK for the original authors of the library if I use a different
hosting provider for the releases? (after all, I am not an Apache commiter)
* Would it be OK to post the release announcements in this list, even if
the project is not hosted at Apache?

Cheers,
Rodrigo

GRID SYSTEMS, S.A.             Rodrigo Ruiz
Parc Bit - Edificio 17         Research Coordinator
07121 Palma de Mallorca        rruiz@gridsystems.com
Baleares - Spain               Tel: +34 971 435 085
http://www.gridsystems.com/    Fax: +34 971 435 082

Re: Revision of the Apache Addressing project

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Rodrigo,

#2, As long as you adhere to the clauses in the Apache License you
should be all set to do whatever you want.
#3, Yep.

thanks,
dims