Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Amar Mhatre <am...@protegrity.com> on 2015/04/08 11:54:33 UTC

How to add custom codec support for ORC file.

Hi,

This is my first post to this forum :)

I found the only 'ZLIB, SNAPPY, LZO' are supported.
Is there a way to add custom splittable codec support for ORC file format in hive.

Thanks
Amar Mhatre

Re: How to add custom codec support for ORC file.

Posted by Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org>.
There currently isn't a way to do that. What are your requirements that
would be easier with a custom codec? ORC uses the codecs in a very specific
way so that it can support indexing. By default ORC indexes each 10k rows
and the compression is done in blocks so that the reader can skip over
blocks it does not need.

.. Owen