Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Christopher Knorr <fo...@bungo.com> on 2001/08/23 16:46:28 UTC

Problem with Attribute

I am trying to pindown the behavior of attribute contents using Xerces. I
have read some conflicting articles and want to get clarification.

I have no DTD and I parse an attribute on an element. Is that attribute
assumed to by of type CDATA?

If it is of type CDATA, do the attribute normalization rules apply?

Would the attribute name="<<<here>>>" parse ok if it is considered CDATA by
default?

Will all parsers handle it this way?

If it is not CDATA for real, I have to escape the special characters and
extra white space is removed, right?

What if I declare xml:space="preserve" on my root element, will that effect
the attribute normalization on sub elements? Or just the content data?

Is this legal for an attribute name="![CDATA[ <<<here>>>]]"

Thanks!!

Christopher Knorr
Software Engineer
NOMOS Corporation