Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by LuKreme <kr...@kreme.com> on 2009/12/19 17:20:50 UTC

[users@httpd] Allowing users access to their websites (Possibly OT?)

I have several users who have websites on my Apache 2.2.13/FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE server and I give them access to their files via webdav. This mostly has worked fine for years (Since FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE), but I occasionally have weird problems with webdav (especially with things like Drupal or WordPress installed), so I am looking for another solution.

I don't want to allow ftp access or any access to a shell on the machine, so what are my options. How are others doing this? (It seems that chroot jails and ftp are still the standard, or is that wrong)

My users are not sophisticated, and webdav is just about as complicated as they can manage. Anything with a shell prompt is going to be nothing but problems.

--
...I started playing Myst at 4:30 in the afternoon and looked up
	suddenly and realized it was February.

Re: [users@httpd] Allowing users access to their websites (Possibly OT?)

Posted by Devraj Mukherjee <de...@gmail.com>.
I have experienced something similar with applications that ship
.htaccess files to override parameters for the web server and / or
PHP. These .htaccess files override the settings for your WebDAV
connections.

I ended up creating a virtual host for the WebDAV with a separate
domain name and turned allow override off.

On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 3:20 AM, LuKreme <kr...@kreme.com> wrote:
> I have several users who have websites on my Apache 2.2.13/FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE server and I give them access to their files via webdav. This mostly has worked fine for years (Since FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE), but I occasionally have weird problems with webdav (especially with things like Drupal or WordPress installed), so I am looking for another solution.
>
> I don't want to allow ftp access or any access to a shell on the machine, so what are my options. How are others doing this? (It seems that chroot jails and ftp are still the standard, or is that wrong)
>
> My users are not sophisticated, and webdav is just about as complicated as they can manage. Anything with a shell prompt is going to be nothing but problems.
>
> --
> ...I started playing Myst at 4:30 in the afternoon and looked up
>        suddenly and realized it was February.

"The secret impresses no-one, the trick you use it for is everything"
- Alfred Borden (The Prestiege)

Re: [users@httpd] Allowing users access to their websites (Possibly OT?)

Posted by Perl Whore <wh...@gmail.com>.
How about sftp without access to the shell? It's secure and most ftp
clients support the protocol.