Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Yusuf Cökelekoglu <yu...@yahoo.de> on 2011/02/17 10:38:06 UTC

Beginners Maven error

Hi all,

I have a minimal pom defined with my maven eclipse plugin.

<project xmlns="http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:schemaLocation="http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0 http://maven.apache.org/xsd/maven-4.0.0.xsd">
  <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
  <groupId>MyProject</groupId>
  <artifactId>MyProject</artifactId>
  <version>0.0.1-SNAPSHOT</version>
</project>

But I cant get rid of the error "Project build error: The property name is required to activate the profile ".
What the hell does that mean and how can I avoid it. Its really annoying.
The command I executed from the command line is "mvn compiler: compile -X"

Regards,
Yusuf

Re: Beginners Maven error

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
> But I cant get rid of the error "Project build error: The property name is required to activate the profile ".
> What the hell does that mean and how can I avoid it. Its really annoying.
> The command I executed from the command line is "mvn compiler: compile -X"

These kinds of questions should be sent to the Maven Users list. This
list is reserved for discussions around the development of Maven
itself.

Wayne

Re: Beginners Maven error

Posted by Gabriele Columbro <ga...@apache.org>.
Hi Yusuf,
a couple of notices:

- first of your command line seems wrong as "mvn compiler: compile -X" has a
whitespace between the compiler (plugin name) and the compile (pluging
goal). Using "mvn compiler:compile" should work.
- more in general, unless you have any specific needs for invoking plugin
goals directly, you should prefer a standard maven phase (e.g. mvn compile)
which is by default bound to a specific plugin depending on the packaging. I
suggest you take a look at
http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-the-lifecycle.htmlto
 start with

Hope this helps,