Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Martin Bouman <M....@telecats.nl> on 2000/10/04 12:05:16 UTC

XML and SQL

Dear Sir / Madam,

Hopefully I have sent this mail to the correct mailinglist.

At this moment we are using Cocoon 1.8 and my company would like me to query
a MS Access database from within an XML-file (which will be transformed to
HTML, WML or VXML by means of XSL).

1.
I searched the Cocoonsite and found two topcics: SQL XSP TagLib and SQL
Connection Pool.
Can I use these to achieve the above?

2.
Where exactly can I download the jdbc-odbc driver for MS Access for SQL XSP
/ SQL Conn. Pool? I have found
http://industry.java.sun.com/products/jdbc/drivers at Sun, but I do not know
wich one (from which company) to download and if I must use one of these.

3.
Do I have to use SQL Connection Pool or is SQL XSP enough? SQL Conn. Pool
seems a little bit difficult with all that Java in it.

I am looking forward to a reaction!

Martin Bouman
TeleCats BV

Re: XML and SQL

Posted by Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>.
On Wed, 4 Oct 2000, Martin Bouman wrote:

> Dear Sir / Madam,
>
> Hopefully I have sent this mail to the correct mailinglist.
>
> At this moment we are using Cocoon 1.8 and my company would like me to query
> a MS Access database from within an XML-file (which will be transformed to
> HTML, WML or VXML by means of XSL).
>
> 1.
> I searched the Cocoonsite and found two topcics: SQL XSP TagLib and SQL
> Connection Pool.
> Can I use these to achieve the above?

you can use the sql xsp logicsheet to do so. you might also want to look
into the development esql logicsheet.

> 2.
> Where exactly can I download the jdbc-odbc driver for MS Access for SQL XSP
> / SQL Conn. Pool? I have found
> http://industry.java.sun.com/products/jdbc/drivers at Sun, but I do not know
> wich one (from which company) to download and if I must use one of these.

comes with your jvm. not a cocoon question, but fyi, the jdbc-odbc bridge
that comes with jvm is _not_ really suitable for production work.

> 3.
> Do I have to use SQL Connection Pool or is SQL XSP enough? SQL Conn. Pool
> seems a little bit difficult with all that Java in it.

no, just the logicsheet. the conn pool document is just to show you how to
use the connection pool from your own java code.

- donald