Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by "andrew m. boardman" <am...@MIT.EDU> on 2007/05/31 01:33:28 UTC

non-POST methods for SOAP/XML-RPC sampler?

Hi, all.  I'm using jmeter to test an HTTP-based service which takes XML
input with POST, PUT, and DELETE requests.

Using POST works perfectly with the SOAP/XML-RPC request, but that
sampler makes a hardcoded POST request.  Alternately, I can use any
method with the HTTP sampler, but it doesn't support arbitrary XML
input.

Any ideas?  My current plan is to extend the SOAP/XML-RPC sampler for
non-POST requests, but if there's an easier option I've missed I'd love
to hear about it.

Thanks!

Re: non-POST methods for SOAP/XML-RPC sampler?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 11/06/07, andrew m. boardman <am...@mit.edu> wrote:

> > If you are using (or can use) files to contain the XML, then there
> > have been some changes to JMeter that allow these to be sent as is
> > without adding any wrapping.
>
> It turns out this (specifying a filename for "Send a File With the
> Request", using the r543291 build) works fine for POST and PUT, but is
> ignored for DELETE.  If I'm reading things right, there's simply no
> allowance made for this in HTTPSampler2.java, which seems to be a bug.

Yes - I added the new methods en masse so there are probably other bugs...

> (Not so much the lack of support, though of course I'd prefer to have it,
> but the lack of any UI indication that the filename is only used for a
> subset of the available HTTP methods.)  Is it appropriate to file bugs
> against the nightly builds for stuff like this?

Yes, just specify which build(s) are relevant.

In this case I think it also applies to 2.2 as DELETE was added there.

> For a more generalized answer to this, while I'd still love to be able to
> give the "SOAP/XML-RPC Request" sampler a method specifier, it seems like
> it and the base HTTP samplers are covering a lot of the same ground, and
> perhaps what's really called for is an overhaul of the UI to consolidate
> the functionality; the ideas in bugzilla #41917 look like a good
> direction for this.

Yes, I do think the HTTP UI needs to be tidied.

However, there are some reasons against merging the UIs:
- compatibility with existing test plans
- task-specific UIs are generally easier to use.
- documentation changes ;-)

These can be addressed, but it would be easier initially to enhance
SOAP/XML separately (and I don't think this would make the merge task
any more difficult).

Feel free to add an enhancement request for it.
I can probably add that fairly quickly.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.