Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Stéphane MOR <st...@yahoo.fr> on 2002/11/15 01:50:34 UTC

Mozilla mail filters

Hi,

There is a thread about mail subjects in Maven user, because
someone is having trouble filtering mails.

I am using Mozilla, and the filters I use work quite nice.
(around 10 Jakarta projects, and some commons "subfiltered")

So, I thought: "Why not share your filters, so that people
can filter Jakarta mails easily ?"

In Mozilla, the filters are set in a text file called
"rules.dat", which is easily editable by hand. So, I think
that it should be fairly easy to make a nice one so that
people put it in their Mozilla folder, replace all occurences
of "@REPLACE_ME_WITH_YOUR_MAIL_ADDRESS@", and here they go !

The structure would be something like:
-Jakarta (so that existing filters don't crash)
  -Maven
    -User
    -Dev
    -Commits
  -Commons
    -Commits (for unprefixed commit mails or new projects)
    -Dev (for unprefixed dev mails)
    -Jelly
      -Dev
      -Commits
    -Daemon
      -Dev
      -Commits
etc.

Of course, we would still need to create the folders, but this
can be scripted ... or mavenpluginized, why not ! ;-)

I think we could link to the file from the "Mailing Lists" section
of jakarta-site2.

Any thoughts ?

Cheers,
Stéphane

Re: Mozilla mail filters

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
down pier down.

Stephane.  News readers are yet another aspect of the internet.
 Consider these primary services (to most end users):

1. email
2. web (http)
3. ftp
4. news

Mozilla mail does indeed have a "news reader" but you cannot web browse
to it per se.  you'll need to use the mozilla mail/news client.  From
there setting up the account with the news server address should be self
explanitory.  There are other good news readers as well!  My favorite is
PAN but it only runs on linux.  Do a google on "newsgroups" or "usenet"
and "newsreader" and you'll probably find something on the subject.

-Andy

Re: Mozilla mail filters

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.

Re: Mozilla mail filters

Posted by Stéphane MOR <st...@yahoo.fr>.
Pier Fumagalli wrote:

>On 15/11/02 0:50 "Stéphane MOR" <st...@yahoo.fr> wrote:
>

>>I think we could link to the file from the "Mailing Lists" section
>>of jakarta-site2.
>>
>>Any thoughts ?
>>

>Yes, start using news.betaversion.org (which will move to news.apache.org
>once I'm over my friggin deadline), which works with mozilla and filters
>messages for you (and expires them after one month so that you won't clog up
>your local cache)...

Why not .... but how ?

The only thing that I see when pointing my browser to
news.betaversion.org is the default welcome page of
Apache ...

Am I supposed to use mozilla mail, or ???

Thanx for any pointers.
Stéphane

Re: Mozilla mail filters

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
On 21/11/02 18:16 "Costin Manolache" <cm...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Pier Fumagalli wrote:
>
>>> Does it use the same "mail verification" program?
>>
>> Messages are delivered to my Qmail, will through SpamAssassin and McAfee
>> for viruses, if that's what you're asking.
>
> Gmane uses a "mail verification" mechanism - they don't allow posting of
> any message until you confirm your email address ( for each group ). ( they
> send you a message after the first post, and if you reply then the post and
> all following posts will be allowed ).

On my setup, you actually have to subscribe to the allow list (only few
people know the wickedness of this option)... At the end, it'll be web
based.

    Pier

Re: Mozilla mail filters

Posted by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com>.
Pier Fumagalli wrote:

>> Does it use the same "mail verification" program?
>
> Messages are delivered to my Qmail, will through SpamAssassin and McAfee
> for viruses, if that's what you're asking.

Gmane uses a "mail verification" mechanism - they don't allow posting of
any message until you confirm your email address ( for each group ). ( they
send you a message after the first post, and if you reply then the post and
all following posts will be allowed ).

Costin

Re: Mozilla mail filters

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
"Costin Manolache" <cm...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Is this a feed from gmane ?

Nope.

> Does it use the same "mail verification" program?

Messages are delivered to my Qmail, will through SpamAssassin and McAfee for
viruses, if that's what you're asking.

> Do you plan to take the whole feed ( including non apache lists )?

Absolutely not.

    Pier

Re: Mozilla mail filters

Posted by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Pier,

Is this a feed from gmane ? Does it use the same "mail verification"
program? Do you plan to take the whole feed ( including non apache lists )?

Costin

Re: Mozilla mail filters

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
On 22/11/02 16:41 "Laurie Harper" <zo...@holoweb.net> wrote:

> That looks pretty cool. Is gatewaying mailing lists as easy to do as it
> claims?

No, he makes it sound complicate... It's actually easier.

    Pier

Re: Mozilla mail filters

Posted by Laurie Harper <zo...@holoweb.net>.
On 11/21/02 6:52 PM, "Pier Fumagalli" <pi...@betaversion.org> wrote:
> Bandwidth in terms of MBPS. At least ten just to start...

Ahh, a bit more than I have to offer unfortunately :-(

> SN. http://infa.abo.fi/~patrik/sn/

That looks pretty cool. Is gatewaying mailing lists as easy to do as it
claims?

L.

Re: Mozilla mail filters

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
On 21/11/02 15:58 "Laurie Harper" <zo...@holoweb.net> wrote:

> On 11/21/02 8:36 AM, "Pier Fumagalli" <pi...@betaversion.org> wrote:
>> Only thing I need is bandidth. From the admin point of view, dropping INN
>> has been the best choice I've made in a _very_ long time. Basically zero
>> maintenance.
>
> Well, if bandwidth means network connectivity I might be able to help,
> depending on traffic volumes; if bandwidth means you need to find some time,
> I probably can't be so useful :)

Bandwidth in terms of MBPS. At least ten just to start...

> Out of interest, what are you using in place of INN?

SN. http://infa.abo.fi/~patrik/sn/

    Pier

Re: Mozilla mail filters

Posted by Laurie Harper <zo...@holoweb.net>.

Re: Mozilla mail filters

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.

Re: Mozilla mail filters

Posted by Laurie Harper <zo...@holoweb.net>.

Re: Mozilla mail filters

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.

Re: Mozilla mail filters

Posted by Laurie Harper <zo...@holoweb.net>.

Re: Mozilla mail filters

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.

Re: Mozilla mail filters

Posted by Laurie Harper <zo...@holoweb.net>.

Re: Mozilla mail filters

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.

Re: Mozilla mail filters

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
"Vincent Massol" <vm...@octo.com> wrote:

> Pier, this is great! I would be happy to use newsgroup instead of emails
> but I have 2 questions:

Shoot...

> - how fresh are the messages in the newsgroup? It seems there is a few
> hours delay between emails and newsgroup. That makes it difficult to use
> newsgroup in replacement of emails, don't you think?

Well, to put it that way, when I get them, they are on the newsgroup as
well... Sometimes there might be some delay because ATM the news server is
on my ADSL (and if I'm downloading something big, mail takes a while).

> - what happens if I respond to the group? Does it also go the
> mailing-list? If not, it means it must keep a subscription to the list
> and then I'll get both the emails and the newsgroup items...

Let's put it this way... I am replying to the newsgroup! :-)

    Pier

Re: Mozilla mail filters

Posted by di...@multitask.com.au.
This is cool Pier, thanks!

Let me/us know when it does move over. This is a *load* better than
futzing with email....
--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
Work:      http://www.multitask.com.au

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

RE: Mozilla mail filters

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@octo.com>.
Pier, this is great! I would be happy to use newsgroup instead of emails
but I have 2 questions:

- how fresh are the messages in the newsgroup? It seems there is a few
hours delay between emails and newsgroup. That makes it difficult to use
newsgroup in replacement of emails, don't you think?

- what happens if I respond to the group? Does it also go the
mailing-list? If not, it means it must keep a subscription to the list
and then I'll get both the emails and the newsgroup items...

Thanks
-Vincent

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

Re: Mozilla mail filters