Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Gary Ogden <go...@gmail.com> on 2012/05/15 18:36:33 UTC

persistent messages

I have a few questions:

1 - Is QPid still in active development?  I see quite a few issues with the
web site. The link to the script and readme is bad:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/qpid/trunk/qpid/java/client/example/src/main/java/runSample.sh

2 - I created a basic application, where I have a separate producer and
consumer, each containing a while(true) to continuously produce and consume
messages. However, if I start the producer without a consumer running, the
messages produced aren't queued up on the broker. It seems that the broker
just dumps them if a consumer isn't attached. Is this the normal default
behaviour? How do I configure the Java Broker and/or Java client/producer
to work this way? Do I need to enable persistent storage? If so, I don't
see a howto on the site for the java broker. I need the ability to queue
messages up should there be issues in the consumer when it tries to connect
home to upload the data.

3 - Is there a way to integrate QPid with Spring AMQP?

Thanks!

Gary

Re: persistent messages

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 15 May 2012 17:36, Gary Ogden <go...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a few questions:
>
> 1 - Is QPid still in active development?  I see quite a few issues with the
> web site. The link to the script and readme is bad:
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/qpid/trunk/qpid/java/client/example/src/main/java/runSample.sh

Qpid is still in active development. Out next release, 0.16, is
currently at RC4 and is under vote for release, so failing any further
delays should be out in the days ahead.

The website could use a lot of love, its something we hope to improve
on going forward. I wasnt aware we were linking to that script, which
I recently deleted during a cleanup, so I'll remove that link.

> 2 - I created a basic application, where I have a separate producer and
> consumer, each containing a while(true) to continuously produce and consume
> messages. However, if I start the producer without a consumer running, the
> messages produced aren't queued up on the broker. It seems that the broker
> just dumps them if a consumer isn't attached. Is this the normal default
> behaviour? How do I configure the Java Broker and/or Java client/producer
> to work this way? Do I need to enable persistent storage? If so, I don't
> see a howto on the site for the java broker. I need the ability to queue
> messages up should there be issues in the consumer when it tries to connect
> home to upload the data.

I'll incorporate this question into my reply to your other email.

> 3 - Is there a way to integrate QPid with Spring AMQP?

I'm not aware that we have done any work with the Spring AMQP API,
which I believe was mostly developed with the RabbitMQ (AMQP 0-9-1)
client, although the Qpid Java client does implement JMS so you are
free to use Springs JMS support with it.

The Qpid Java broker supports AMQP 0-8, 0-9, 0-9-1, and 0-10, plus has
prototype 1-0 support on trunk, so a RabbitMQ client using the Spring
AMQP API should talk to the Java broker, and the Qpid Java client does
support AMQP 0-9-1 so in theory Spring AMQP could be made to work with
it but again I'm not aware of any efforts to that end.