Posted to mod_dtcl@tcl.apache.org by Craig Huckabee <hu...@spawar.navy.mil> on 2002/11/20 22:40:03 UTC

Threads problem ? (was RE: Problem opening .ttml file under Windows)

At 03:19 PM 11/20/2002 +0100, Zeinert, Holger wrote:

> >    The other thing that bothers me is that I have several
> > pages that have
> > multiple frames and I have never seen this problem.  But
> > maybe my frames
> > are too simple - any special processing going on in those frames
> > ?  Database calls ?  Long running processes ?
>
>I use Oratcl 2.7. I know this one is an old version and this is definitely
>not thread safe. In one frame I did not use Oratcl (package and DLL not
>loaded into .ttml) and in the other frame I use Oratcl. Suprisingly, not
>always (but most of the times) the database frame was slow, but it also was
>the second frame. Sometimes also the first frame was delayed.

OK - I'll see if I can duplicate that environment.  I think I have an
Oracle database I can attach to here, but if not maybe MySQL would suffice.

>Perhaps the
>delay came from starting a new apache.exe, load balancing and process
>management is not the biggest advantage of Windows ;-)

That's true and the main reason the original solution bothers me.

   My test pages with multiple frames aren't showing this problem.  I've
got some software somewhere that can mimic several thousand web requests
(we use it to beat on servers for production), I'll see if I can use it
tomorrow and come up with some better tests.  I have my own chart and graph
library (<shameless plug> see TGDChart at SourceForge) that I can use to
create some work for the server.  I've also got a MySQL database here
somewhere that I can try connecting to.  Does everyone think that will be a
good enough test ?

--Craig

/ Craig Huckabee                | e-mail: huck@spawar.navy.mil  /
/ Code 71B-CH           | phone: (843) 218 5653         /
/ SPAWAR Systems Center         | close proximity: HeyYou!      /
/ Charleston, SC                | ICBM: 32.78N, 79.93W          /

Re: Threads problem ? (was RE: Problem opening .ttml file under Windows)

Posted by "David N. Welton" <da...@dedasys.com>.
Craig Huckabee <hu...@spawar.navy.mil> writes:

> >I use Oratcl 2.7. I know this one is an old version and this is
> >definitely not thread safe. In one frame I did not use Oratcl
> >(package and DLL not loaded into .ttml) and in the other frame I
> >use Oratcl. Suprisingly, not always (but most of the times) the
> >database frame was slow, but it also was the second
> >frame. Sometimes also the first frame was delayed.

> OK - I'll see if I can duplicate that environment.  I think I have
> an Oracle database I can attach to here, but if not maybe MySQL
> would suffice.

Oratcl is listed as being thread-safe here:

http://mini.net/tcl/3839

> >Perhaps the delay came from starting a new apache.exe, load
> >balancing and process management is not the biggest advantage of
> >Windows ;-)

> That's true and the main reason the original solution bothers me.

>    My test pages with multiple frames aren't showing this problem.
> I've got some software somewhere that can mimic several thousand web
> requests (we use it to beat on servers for production), I'll see if
> I can use it tomorrow and come up with some better tests.

'ab' from Apache works ok.  They are also working on a new one, called
'flood', which is available here:

http://httpd.apache.org/test/flood/

> I have my own chart and graph library (<shameless plug> see TGDChart
> at SourceForge) that I can use to create some work for the server.
> I've also got a MySQL database here somewhere that I can try
> connecting to.  Does everyone think that will be a good enough test
> ?

Sounds like a good start...  Hard to say, though.  I'm going to go to
a session about Apache on Windows later today (never thought *that*
would happen) - maybe I'll learn something useful:-)

--
David N. Welton
   Consulting: http://www.dedasys.com/