Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by swisst <th...@isostech.com> on 2008/07/29 20:39:16 UTC

Does the pool handle stale connections?

I can't seem to find the answer to this anywhere.  MySQL times out
connections after 8 hours of inactivity.  Resulting in the common Q/A:

  "I have a servlet/application that works fine for a day, and then stops
  working overnight".

  Resolution:

  MySQL closes connections after 8 hours of inactivity. You either
  need to use a connection pool that handles stale connections or use
  the "autoReconnect" parameter (see "USAGE AND INSTALLATION"). [...]

Since the MySQL autoReconnect feature is on it's way out (being deprecated),
how do I configure my connection pool in Geronimo to recover from stale
connections?

Thanks!

Re: Does the pool handle stale connections?

Posted by swisst <th...@isostech.com>.
Awesome...that's what I get for snoozing.  I'll add any extra detail to the
jira task.

Posted by DF...@teamhuber.com.
Created as https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-4222

Thanks!

- David Frahm

From:
Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>
To:
user@geronimo.apache.org
Date:
07/30/2008 09:51 AM

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Jul 30, 2008, at 9:13 AM, DFrahm@teamhuber.com wrote:

> I have frequent trouble with my database pool to an AS/400.  The
> database is taken down every night for backup, and at least once a
> week the connection pool is unusable after the database comes back
> up.  Restarting the connection pool makes everything work again.
>
> We are new to Geronimo -- just this one app on one server -- so I
> don't have anything to compare to.  However, we have had this same
> issue with a couple 1.x versions before we upgraded to v2.
>
> I had planned to do more troubleshooting before posting this, but
> since its already a topic I thought I'd go ahead.  It easily could
> be a configuration issue, although there are several WebSphere apps
> that do not have this trouble.
>
> Configuration Info
> Driver: JTOpen v6.1 (com.ibm.as400.access.AS400JDBCDriver)
> Pool Min Size: 0
> Pool Max Size: 100
> Blocking Timeout: 5000
> Idle Timeout: 15

Thanks for the info David. Which version of V2 Geronimo are you using?
Sounds like we have a problem. If either you or swisst could open a
Jira (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO) , that would be
great.

If you're able to do some troubleshooting, that would be awesome.
Otherwise, any instructions (application, plans, etc) on how to
reproduce the problem would be much appreciated. We'll eyeball the
timeout code, maybe it's something obvious.

I'm not very hopeful, but a Thread dump of the java process might
prove useful (e.g. kill -3 <pid>). Heh. Actually, I'm a bit less than
hopeful, no harm though...

--kevan

Re: Does the pool handle stale connections?

Posted by DF...@teamhuber.com.
I have frequent trouble with my database pool to an AS/400.  The database
is taken down every night for backup, and at least once a week the
connection pool is unusable after the database comes back up.  Restarting
the connection pool makes everything work again.

We are new to Geronimo -- just this one app on one server -- so I don't
have anything to compare to.  However, we have had this same issue with a
couple 1.x versions before we upgraded to v2.

I had planned to do more troubleshooting before posting this, but since
its already a topic I thought I'd go ahead.  It easily could be a
configuration issue, although there are several WebSphere apps that do not
have this trouble.

Configuration Info
Driver: JTOpen v6.1 (com.ibm.as400.access.AS400JDBCDriver)
Pool Min Size: 0
Pool Max Size: 100
Blocking Timeout: 5000
Idle Timeout: 15

- David Frahm

From:
David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>
To:
user@geronimo.apache.org
Date:
07/29/2008 05:15 PM
Re: Does the pool handle stale connections?

There's an idleTimeoutMinutes configuration setting on the connection
manager with a default value of 15 (minutes).  Can you check that this
is not reset to something longer than 8 hours?  Maybe the timeout is
not working...

thanks
david jencks

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.