Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Rupert Gallagher <ru...@protonmail.com> on 2017/10/25 14:29:47 UTC

Your header "To: undisclosed-recipients:;" is RFC 822 compliant

Reading RFC 822 again, I spotted the endorsement for the case at hand.
The named header is compliant to the standard, as quoted below.

However, the same standard does not compel a server to accept e-mail
sent to undisclosed recipients: we are free to reject it by local policy.

 6.2.6.  MULTIPLE MAILBOXES
        [...]
        A set of individuals may wish to receive mail as a single unit
        (i.e.,  a  distribution  list).  The <group> construct permits
        specification of such a list.  Recipient mailboxes are  speci-
        fied  within  the  bracketed  part (":" - ";").  A copy of the
        transmitted message is to be  sent  to  each  mailbox  listed.
        This  standard  does  not  permit  recursive  specification of
        groups within groups.

>        While a list must be named, it is not required that  the  con-
>        tents  of  the  list be included.  In this case, the <address>
>        serves only as an indication of group distribution  and  would
>        appear in the form:
>
>                                    name:;

        Some mail  services  may  provide  a  group-list  distribution
        facility,  accepting  a single mailbox reference, expanding it
        to the full distribution list, and relaying the  mail  to  the
        list's  members.   This standard provides no additional syntax
        for indicating such a  service.   Using  the  <group>  address
        alternative,  while listing one mailbox in it, can mean either
        that the mailbox reference will be expanded to a list or  that
        there is a group with one member.

A.  EXAMPLES
A.1.5.  Address Lists

   Gourmets: Pompous Person <Wh...@Cordon-Bleu>, Childs@WGBH.Boston,
     Galloping Gourmet@ANT.Down-Under (Australian National Television),
     Cheapie@Discount-Liquors;,
   Cruisers:  Port@Portugal, Jones@SEA;,
   Another@Somewhere.SomeOrg

Re: Your header "To: undisclosed-recipients:;" is RFC 822 compliant

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.

On 27.10.17 16:08, A. Schulze wrote:
>... which is obsoleted by RFC 5322 and updated some other RFCs

irelevant, the group addresses are still valid:

    group           =   display-name ":" [group-list] ";" [CFWS]

"Where do you want to go to die?" [Microsoft]

Re: Your header "To: undisclosed-recipients:;" is RFC 822 compliant

Posted by Rupert Gallagher <ru...@protonmail.com>.
They can say something along these lines: "Rejected by local policy. Although e-mails to undisclosed recipients are allowed by RFC-822, the same does not mandate their acceptance."

Sent from ProtonMail Mobile

Posted by David B Funk <db...@engineering.uiowa.edu>.
On Fri, 27 Oct 2017, A. Schulze wrote:

> Am 27.10.2017 um 07:15 schrieb @lbutlr:
>> RFC 822 is obsolete, replaced by RFC 2822.
> ... which is obsoleted by RFC 5322 and updated some other RFCs
> see https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5322

And it still explicitly says that construct is legal:
rfc5322:3.4

    ...       This is done by giving a display name for the group,
    followed by a colon, followed by a comma-separated list of any number
    of mailboxes (including zero and one), and ending with a semicolon.
    Because the list of mailboxes can be empty, using the group construct
    is also a simple way to communicate to recipients that the message
    was sent to one or more named sets of recipients, without actually
    providing the individual mailbox address for any of those recipients.

Anybody can block mail for any reason they want ("my server, my rules"). But if
they claim to do so with RFC justification for this case, then they're playing
in the realm of "Alternative Facts"

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

Re: Your header "To: undisclosed-recipients:;" is RFC 822 compliant

Posted by "A. Schulze" <sc...@andreasschulze.de>.

Posted by "@lbutlr" <kr...@kreme.com>.

--
Apple broke AppleScripting signatures in Mail.app, so no random signatures.