Posted to dev@tinkerpop.apache.org by Rob Vesse <rv...@dotnetrdf.org> on 2015/09/01 11:07:48 UTC

Re: Missed monthly report

I would add two things to the list of potential graduation blockers that
an IPMC member reviewing the project is likely to pick up on

1) Off-list activity

There is still seems to be lots of off-list activity that happens.  While
you've gotten a lot better at writing emails to the list that discuss what
was discussed the fact is there shouldn't be extended discussions
happening off list as much as they appear to do.

Also often reading the threads it comes across as being fait acompli - "We
[the PMC] discussed this thing in private and here's this decision(s) we
made" - while you do ask for comments from the wider community the fact
that the main discussion has already happened (and people don't have all
the context that was in that discussion) makes it much harder for other
people to feel like they have a say and can be involved in the decision
making process.

The recent thread on the JIRA review is a prime example of this and in
this case you even had someone from the community complaining that you
held that discussion in private

2) Vendor Focus

A lot of your discussion still seem to focus on vendors as being a key
motivator in decisions that are being taken e.g. the discussion about
limiting changes to the proposed mutation APIs to avoid breaking Titan too
much.  As I and your mentors have said in the past Apache is based on
communities of individuals and it is not a vendor organisation.  It is
perfectly fine and normal for people to work for vendors and expected that
they will advocate for approaches that work best for them but at the same
time community members should consider the health of the broader community
ahead of their specific special interests.

For example a PMC I'm involved in (Jena) recently moved to Java 8 only
going forward, my employer relies heavily on this project in some of our
commercial projects but for various reasons we cannot move to Java 8 yet.
However for the project community moving onto Java 8 was the best move and
I was happy to support that despite the fact that it will create some
extra work for us in terms of back porting important fixes to the
discontinued Java 7 branch.

Personally I'd want to see more of this kind of attitude and less of the
"we can't do that because we'll upset vendor X" - remember community !=
vendors

Rob