Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by James Mitchell <ja...@mac.com> on 2005/08/30 06:43:09 UTC

Re: Struts Ti (maven:reactor giving me fits)

Ok, I've hit a bit of a snag...

In Maven-utopia, the project layout would support multiple JAR and
WAR artifacts by nesting then 1 level deeper than we currently have
them.

So, we need:

struts/sandbox/ti
   project.xml
   maven.xml
   project.properties

   jars/
     core/
     java5/
   wars
     samples/
     example/

The biggest reason for this extra directory is to allow better (read
"cleaner") support for the Maven reactor plugin.

I can work around it, but it is less flexible and requires more hands
on maintenance.  So, if it's cool with you guys, can I move core and
java5 under "jars" and move samples and example under "wars"?

--
James Mitchell
Consulting / Mentoring / Freelance

Re: Struts Ti (maven:reactor giving me fits)

Posted by James Mitchell <ja...@mac.com>.
No problem.  I just need to be spoon fed right now since I don't grep
ti yet.

Thanks for putting up with all the newb questions.

Posted by Martin Cooper <mf...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rich Feit <ri...@gmail.com>.

Don Brown wrote:

> James Mitchell wrote:
>
>> Sounds good.
>>
>> The layout was hard to work with (example/WEB-INF/src/) so instead
>> of  fighting with Maven, I just added that to the excludes property
>> (for  now).  I can work around the layout if that's a deal breaker,
>> but  rather than add the additional effort, it's just better use of
>> our  time to just 'svn mv' it around and not worry about it.
>

> Well, the logic behind the example's source code in WEB-INF/src is the
> because primary purpose of that application is to show off the
> "devMode" of Ti.  In devMode, you can edit the source code, then
> immediately refresh your browser.  Ti handles the compilation and
> annotation processing (xml generation via xjavadoc or apt)
> automatically. Therefore, ignoring that source is actually what we want.
>
> Don

Also, about the XWork config files that say "Generated from...", it's a
lie.  They're currently hand-coded and checked in under
wars/samples/src/resources/_pageflow-config.  I haven't submitted the
layer that will generate them automatically yet.

Just want to echo Martin's thanks later on this thread -- it's great to
have some maven wisdom being aimed at the project, especially this early on.

Rich

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.

Re: Struts Ti (newbie)

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.
Ok, I finished bringing over the wiki pages we used when first
conceiving Struts Ti.  Note, they are a reflection of past discussions
and not necessarily the current direction or implementation.  I think
this wiki will provide a good starting point for writing down our
current thoughts and dicussions.

Which reminds me: does the Apache wiki have any macros that make adding
comments easier?  Trac has this:
http://trac-hacks.swapoff.org/wiki/AddCommentMacro which is just wonderful.

http://wiki.apache.org/struts/StrutsTi

Don

Re: Struts Ti (newbie)

Posted by Rich Feit <ri...@gmail.com>.
At this point I think Don's original proposal
(http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@struts.apache.org/msg10521.html ) is
still the best.  Anyone have any other resources to add?

Rich

Re: Struts Ti (newbie)

Posted by James Mitchell <ja...@mac.com>.

Posted by James Mitchell <ja...@mac.com>.