Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Luís Ferreira <za...@gmail.com> on 2012/05/21 20:22:50 UTC

Number of keyspaces

Hi,

Does the number of keyspaces affect the overall cassandra performance?

Cumprimentos,
Luís Ferreira

Re: Number of keyspaces

Posted by "R. Verlangen" <ro...@us2.nl>.
Hmm, you got me on that. I assumed (~ wrong) that more keyspaces would mean
more CF's.

--
With kind regards,

Robin Verlangen
www.robinverlangen.nl

Re: Number of keyspaces

Posted by Franc Carter <fr...@sirca.org.au>.
On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 8:09 PM, aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>wrote:

> We were thinking of doing a major compaction after each year is 'closed
> off'.
>
> Not a terrible idea. Years tend to happen annually, so their growth
> pattern is well understood.
>
> This would mean that compactions for the current year were dealing with a
> smaller amount of data and hence be faster and have less impact on a
> day-to-day basis.
>
> Older data is compacted into higher tiers / generations so will not be
> included when compacting new data (background
> http://www.datastax.com/dev/blog/leveled-compaction-in-apache-cassandra). That
> said, there is a chance that at some point you the big older files get
> compacted. i.e. if you get (by default) 4 X 100GB files they will get
> compacted into 1.

I'm a bit nervous about leveled compaction as it's new(ish)

> It feels a bit like a premature optimisation.

Yep, that's certainly possible - it's habit I tend towards ;-(

cheers

Re: Number of keyspaces

Posted by aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>.

Re: Number of keyspaces

Posted by Franc Carter <fr...@sirca.org.au>.

Re: Number of keyspaces

Posted by aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>.

Re: Number of keyspaces

Posted by Luís Ferreira <za...@gmail.com>.

Re: Number of keyspaces

Posted by Rob Coli <rc...@palominodb.com>.
On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 4:56 AM, samal <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Not ideally, now cass has global memtable tuning. Each cf correspond to
> memory  in ram. Year wise cf means it will be in read only state for next
> year, memtable  will still consume ram.

An empty memtable seems unlikely to consume a meaningful amount of
RAM. I'm sure by reading the code I could estimate how little memory
is involved, but I'd be surprised if it is over a few megabytes. This
is independent from the other overhead associated with a CF being
defined, of course.

=Rob

--
=Robert Coli