Posted to user@zookeeper.apache.org by JZ <jo...@jordanzimmerman.com> on 2012/06/27 22:34:27 UTC

ANN: Exhibitor 1.1.0

Exhibitor now supports Automatic Instance Management. Exhibitor can be configured to automatically add new instances to the ensemble and remove stale instances. This enables touchless and turn-key management of a ZooKeeper cluster.

When Automatic Instance Management is enabled:

* New instances will automatically add themselves to the ZooKeeper ensemble.
* Instances in the configured servers list that appear to be no longer operating will be removed from the ZooKeeper ensemble

Please see the Exhibitor wiki for more details: https://github.com/Netflix/exhibitor/wiki/Automatic-Instance-Management

-Jordan

Re: ANN: Exhibitor 1.1.0

Posted by Jordan Zimmerman <jo...@jordanzimmerman.com>.
Someone deleted the page - try now.

>How do you avoid obvious crazy cases like 5 new hosts jumping onto a cluster
>where all of the original hosts in the quorum are down for maintenance or something?

New instances are added into the cluster one at a time. So, if you wanted to add 5 new instances for some reason, it wouldn't break quorum. I don't follow your example, though, of 5 new hosts while the originals are down for maintenance.

The way Exhibitor accomplishes this is via shared configuration. The details of the rolling config change are here: https://github.com/Netflix/exhibitor/wiki/Rolling-Ensemble-Change (see the Details section).

-JZ

Re: ANN: Exhibitor 1.1.0

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.