Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Chris Faulkner <ch...@ntlworld.com> on 2002/06/08 22:57:04 UTC

mapping and image merge

Hi all

I've been using FOP recently to embed dynamically-created imagery of map data into PDF documents, in a JSP environment. I'd like to add some features to the top of those images, where the data has
been derived from a database in SVG format. The Batik rasterizer looks very interesting to me in this respect. However, the bits that I can't immediatley see from the website are

1. Is there anyway that I can use the rasterizer to "add" the SVG-generated image to my existing map image ? Maybe taking my existing image as input. As I mentioned, I have an existing image and I'd just
like to draw the SVG on top of that.
If the output is to HTML, I could probably just make two images and use CSS to put one on top of the other, assuming that the Batik rasterizer lets me specify transparency. However, I'm not sure that I
could put one image on top of the other in XSL-FO.
I can manipulate the two images in the way that I want with netpbm but that would mean doing something nasty as a system call.

2. Does anyone have any examples of invoking Batik in JSP ?

Thanks

Chris

mapping and image merge

Posted by Thomas E Deweese <th...@kodak.com>.

CF> Hi all I've been using FOP recently to embed dynamically-created
CF> imagery of map data into PDF documents, in a JSP environment. I'd
CF> like to add some features to the top of those images, where the
CF> data has been derived from a database in SVG format. The Batik
CF> rasterizer looks very interesting to me in this respect. However,
CF> the bits that I can't immediatley see from the website are

CF> 1. Is there anyway that I can use the rasterizer to "add" the
CF> SVG-generated image to my existing map image ?  Maybe taking my
CF> existing image as input.

    Check out the 'image' element in SVG you can include your raster
content as an element in the SVG document.  Batik understands
JPEG, PNG, GIF, & TIFF.

CF> As I mentioned, I have an existing image and I'd just like to draw
CF> the SVG on top of that.

    The image element can also reference SVG content so you could have
each of your overlays in a seperate document and then merge everything
in a small SVG document that just references everything (image in the
back then the layers built up on top).

CF> If the output is to HTML, I could probably just make two images
CF> and use CSS to put one on top of the other, assuming that the
CF> Batik rasterizer lets me specify transparency. However, I'm not
CF> sure that I could put one image on top of the other in XSL-FO.  I
CF> can manipulate the two images in the way that I want with netpbm
CF> but that would mean doing something nasty as a system call.

CF> 2. Does anyone have any examples of invoking Batik in JSP ?

    There is a book that has a chapter on this -the title eludes me at
the moment, check the archives.