Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Vitalii Stoianov <vi...@gmail.com> on 2019/10/30 10:23:19 UTC

Kafka EOL policy question.

Hi All,

I'm trying to understand Kafka EOL policy. As stated in
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Time+Based+Release+Plan
*"""*

*What Is Our EOL Policy?Given 3 releases a year and the fact that no one
upgrades three times a year, we propose making sure (by testing!) that
rolling upgrade can be done from each release in the past year (i.e. last 3
releases) to the latest version.We will also attempt, as a community to do
bugfix releases as needed for the last 3 releases.*
*"""*

So does it mean that 2.1.0 is latest release that is supporting any
bugfixing as for now and when 2.4 will be released 2.1.0 won't get any
further bugfixes?
if not please help me to understand which one is supporting bugfixing as
for now and when it will lose support.
Any help is appreciated.

Regards,
Vitalii.

Re: Kafka EOL policy question.

Posted by "Matthias J. Sax" <ma...@confluent.io>.
Bug fix releases are done "on demand" and there is no strict policy to
not do a bug fix release for older versions.

However, in practice bug fix release for older versions don't happen
very often. The release plan wiki page gives a good overview about
release in the past:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Future+release+plan
(Or check out the download page to get all release dates:
https://kafka.apache.org/downloads)

Thus, 2.1 might get a new bug-fix release in the future, independent of
the 2.4 release. However, it's very unlikely.

Hope that helps.

-Matthias