Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Keith <tr...@optonline.net> on 2003/02/09 20:04:01 UTC

[users@httpd] not accessable

i can view the my websites from my local network..
but no one else can view it from the outside internet.

i am behind a linksys router.. i did foward port 80 to the comp IP..
i am also running a ftp server which is accessable from the outside on the same comp so i now i can be accessed.

any help would be greatly apreciated

Re: [users@httpd] not accessable

Posted by Renato Salles <ma...@brturbo.com>.
Look at previous post about adsl+firewall issues.

--
---
====================<<<<<< * >>>>>>>====================

Re: [users@httpd] not accessable

Posted by Gary Turner <kk...@sbcglobal.net>.
Keith wrote:

>ok i fixed it the way you said...
>but i dont like that typing the port is really annoying...
>is there anyway to get around this problem and set it back to port 80

Please eschew top posting.  It makes threads crazy :)

As Jeff said, your ISP, Optonline.net;

	"In addition to the prohibitions outlined in the Acceptable Use
Policy, Residential Optimum Online users may not:

(a) Run any type of server on the system.  This includes but is not
limited to *FTP*, IRC, SMTP, POP, *HTTP*, SOCKS, SQUID, DNS or any
multi-user forums;" [emphasis added]

(Damn, what self respecting Linux user isn't running a bunch of these
servers?)

In other words, they charge you big bucks for service, but you aren't
allowed to use it :(  I suppose you could ask your service to make an
exception for you. Teehee,  snicker, snicker, har-de-har-har.  Or, you
could check out DSL.  Many DSL ISPs will even provide HOWTOs to help you
set up. 8->).

Or, you could do as Jeff suggested.

--
gt                  kk5st@sbcglobal.net
 If someone tells you---

Re: [users@httpd] not accessable

Posted by Keith <tr...@optonline.net>.
ok i fixed it the way you said...
but i dont like that typing the port is really annoying...
is there anyway to get around this problem and set it back to port 80

thanks for your reply

Your ISP is blocking your HTTP port (port 80).
Change the port to a different one and change the forwarding on your linksys
router.
You will need to specify your port number in the URL.
e.g. lets say the port to chose to listen will be 8000, than the link to
your site will be: http://123.123.123.123:8000 or with a domain name:
http://your_domain:8000

All the best,
Jeff Cohen