Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Roger Niederland <ro...@niederland.com> on 2009/04/04 20:53:26 UTC

apache-tomcat-jdbc-1.0.20-beta Abandoned Issue

I started testing the connection pool with our application.  I have an
issue with the abandon connection detection.
Looking at the source code the timestamp which is used to check for
abandonment is updated when the connection is created, borrowed, or
returned.

In our application we create a temporary table for raw data... This
table is only available while using the current connection.  Data in
this table is processed and then saved permanently in the database.
After creating/populating the temporary table the connection is kept
until the data is processed, during processing queries are performed on
the temporary table with this connection.  The connection is being
treated as abandoned after the timeout (based on the time of the
borrow).   Please note that this does not occur when using DBCP.  It
would be great to be able to have the abandoned timestamp reset when a
statement is executed on the connection.  If this is not possible, could
it be possible to get the same connection to reset the timestamp.  Any
suggestions....

thanks

Re: apache-tomcat-jdbc-1.0.20-beta Abandoned Issue

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.
hi Roger,
DBCP works the abandonment slightly different. It doesn't 'abandon'
connections unless all connections are in use.
This means you wont get notified of abandoned connections until you are
actually using all, or all are abandoned.
So if you used DBCP, you still might experience the error if all
connections are in use.
I will look into a possible solution for this,

Filip