Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu> on 2004/12/02 17:57:53 UTC

[Axis2] on relation between WSLD (WOM) and XmlInfoset (OM) [ Re: [Axis2] WSDL Service Desc

Chathura Herath wrote:

> Hi all ,
>
> I have posted a proposal in the wiki for a possible Architecture for a
> WSDL Service Desc for Axis 2 based on the WSDL 2.0 Component Model.
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/ws/FrontPage_2fArchitecture_2fWSDL
>

>  I have also proposed a package structure for WSDL Object Model (WOM)
> which could be
>
> org.apache.wsdl.wom

what is relation of OM and WOM?

did you consider to have WOM classes contain reference to original XML
Infoset with WSDL?

i found in my won experience that making WOM-like model to build
directly on top XML Infoset make it very intuitive: i can modify WSDL
using XML constructs (including even XPath) and as well using WSDL API
directly, example:

class WsdlDefinitions implements OmElement {
   public WsdlDefinitions(OmElement defs) {
       if(!defs.getNamesapce().equals(WSDL_11_NS) &&
!defs.getNamesapce().equals(WSDL_11_NS)) throw ...
       this.containedXml = defs;
   }
}

for example of this approach see code in XSUL:

http://www.extreme.indiana.edu/viewcvs/~checkout~/xsul/java/modules/xwsdl/

in particular

http://www.extreme.indiana.edu/viewcvs/~checkout~/xsul/java/modules/xwsdl/xsul/wsdl/WsdlDefinitions.java

HTH

alek

Re: [Axis2] on relation between WSLD (WOM) and XmlInfoset (OM) [ Re: [Axis2] WSDL Service Desc

Posted by Srinath Perera <he...@gmail.com>.
to add few thoughts :)
>class WsdlDefinitions implements OmElement {
we do not need to make the WOM OM dependent; if we do we need support
for XML level includes and imports and we need support for almost all
XML infoset!

> The problem is that the WSDL component model is not based on
> the XML Infoset. Its a pure, clean and simple component
> model. I would prefer for org.apache.wsdl.* to be an honest,
> straight rendering of that in Java. The actual impl can be
> whatever but I'm most concerned about the interfaces.
yes the XML is just a representation of the WSDL model; We tried
represting the WSDL schema with DOM elements in 1.1. and we all know
that goes wrong. At the code generation time we need clean parsed and
resolved WOM populated.  Am too -1 on the making WOM ontop of XML
infoset.

BTW we need a  good Schema Model to represent schema as well

Thanks
Srinath

RE: [Axis2] on relation between WSLD (WOM) and XmlInfoset (OM) [ Re: [Axis2] WSDL Service Desc

Posted by Chathura Herath <ch...@opensource.lk>.

> did you consider to have WOM classes contain reference to original XML
> Infoset with WSDL?
>
> i found in my won experience that making WOM-like model to build
> directly on top XML Infoset make it very intuitive: i can modify WSDL
> using XML constructs (including even XPath) and as well using WSDL API
> directly, example:
>
> class WsdlDefinitions implements OmElement {
>    public WsdlDefinitions(OmElement defs) {
>        if(!defs.getNamesapce().equals(WSDL_11_NS) &&
> !defs.getNamesapce().equals(WSDL_11_NS)) throw ...
>        this.containedXml = defs;
>    }
> }

The problem is that the WSDL component model is not based on
the XML Infoset. Its a pure, clean and simple component
model. I would prefer for org.apache.wsdl.* to be an honest,
straight rendering of that in Java. The actual impl can be
whatever but I'm most concerned about the interfaces.

There is a brewing proposal to re-do the WSDL 2.0 component
model as an extension of the Infoset. I'm strongly -1 on
that proposal so will be working hard to kill it :-). Of
course that doesn't mean it'll get killed but at least you
know where I'm coming from.

Sanjiva.

Hi,

I am too with the impression that the WOM should play the part of the
Component Model for WSDL. The Build mechanism is intentionally kept external
to the WOM, so that WOM is independent of the actual representation of the
component model and at this time we will consider only the XML Infoset
representation, but leaving room for other representations as well. There
Wont be any harm in doing this, rather we would increase the usability of
the WOM beyond XML Infoset represented WSDL. Pushing the OM into the WOM
itself would make it heavily dependent on XML.

Regards
Chathura

Re: [Axis2] on relation between WSLD (WOM) and XmlInfoset (OM) [ Re: [Axis2] WSDL Service Desc

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
"Aleksander Slominski" <as...@cs.indiana.edu> writes:

> did you consider to have WOM classes contain reference to original XML
> Infoset with WSDL?
>
> i found in my won experience that making WOM-like model to build
> directly on top XML Infoset make it very intuitive: i can modify WSDL
> using XML constructs (including even XPath) and as well using WSDL API
> directly, example:
>
> class WsdlDefinitions implements OmElement {
>    public WsdlDefinitions(OmElement defs) {
>        if(!defs.getNamesapce().equals(WSDL_11_NS) &&
> !defs.getNamesapce().equals(WSDL_11_NS)) throw ...
>        this.containedXml = defs;
>    }
> }

The problem is that the WSDL component model is not based on
the XML Infoset. Its a pure, clean and simple component
model. I would prefer for org.apache.wsdl.* to be an honest,
straight rendering of that in Java. The actual impl can be
whatever but I'm most concerned about the interfaces.

There is a brewing proposal to re-do the WSDL 2.0 component
model as an extension of the Infoset. I'm strongly -1 on
that proposal so will be working hard to kill it :-). Of
course that doesn't mean it'll get killed but at least you
know where I'm coming from.

Chathura- you should join the WSDL WG mailing list and at least
lurk on that. Please consider pointing people to this code
when you feel its ready for a first read .. primarily the
org.apache.wsdl.* stuff.

Sanjiva.