Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by motit <Mo...@expand.com> on 2009/03/01 09:49:48 UTC

Tomcat Service

Hi,

According to Tomcat bin/service.bat file, the environment variable JAVA_HOME
needs to be existed, otherwise the service is not installed.

The problem is that I want to use only the JAVA JRE installation (1.6.0,
update 12) on that machine. I manually add the bin/server folder to that JRE
(it comes only with the Client folder :-( ( As known, Tomcat required only
the JRE).

I tried to change all the JAVA_HOME references in the server.bat to JRE_HOME
(as required by Tomcat in order to run with only the JRE), and even added
--JavaHome to be %JRE_HOME%.

I haven't seen any problems with the changes I did: the service was
installed successfully, everything seems to run OK. But I don't know if
there might be problems with what I did.

There is a line in the service.bat: set
PR_JVM=%JAVA_HOME%\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll I changed it to be set
PR_JVM=%JRE_HOME%\bin\server\jvm.dll.

I don't know if I use --JavaHome %JRE_HOME% - then what is the value of
%JAVA_HOME%\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll ? I don't have such a folder... Does
tomcat6.exe uses JAVA_HOME? Can it leave with JRE_HOME? Will my changes
work?

Thanks.

Re: Tomcat Service

Posted by motit <Mo...@expand.com>.
We precompiled all our JSPs.

Re: Tomcat Service

Posted by supareno <re...@free.fr>.
Caldarale, Charles R a écrit :
>> From: supareno [mailto:reno.rkcrew@free.fr]
>> Subject: Re: Tomcat Service
>>
>> will it possible to tomcat to compile jsps without a jdk?
>>

> Tomcat does not need a JDK to compile JSPs (and it's been that way a long time).

sorry, i apologize

RE: Tomcat Service

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Re: Tomcat Service

Posted by supareno <re...@free.fr>.
motit,

RE: Tomcat Service

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: motit [mailto:Moti.Tal@expand.com]
> Subject: Tomcat Service
>
> According to Tomcat bin/service.bat file, the environment
> variable JAVA_HOME needs to be existed, otherwise the
> service is not installed.

Looks like the text in the script was not updated; read the Tomcat doc first:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/setup.html

This states, in part:

"The installer will use the registry or the JAVA_HOME environment variable to determine the base path of a J2SE 5 JRE."

As long as your JRE was installed properly and is specified in the registry, you don't need either JAVA_HOME or JRE_HOME to install the service - the script will find it automatically.

 - Chuck