Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org> on 2002/05/16 15:04:17 UTC

[IMPORTANT] What actions can the ASF take to enforce copyright?

I have been informed by someone who felt it was very necessary for them
act (they called my home, they sent a message to
webmaster@jakarta.apache.org,
etc.) about a straight up violation of copyright and plagerism.

The Jakarta documentation in question is the Avalon docs (I think he was
referring to the "Developing with Avalon" documentation), the actual
specifics
I am trying to get from the person.

Basically, He reported that someone grabbed the documentation verbatim,
ripped
my name off, and put his own.  The documentation is specifically
released under
the ASL 1.1 (modified only to say documentation instead of software).
The
documentation has been donated to the ASF, Jakarta, and specifically
Avalon.

>From what I know of copyright (I studied it for a week under Al
Schlessinger,
the top lawyer in the field), the copyright is only as good as its
enforcement.
I personally do not have a problem with sharing the information, and
donating
it to the ASF where it is free to be distributed at will.  I do have a
problem
when someone without talent rips off work and passes it off as their
own.  To
this kind of person, I can tell them to grow some balls and learn how to
write
for themselves.

 deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                - Benjamin Franklin

RE: [IMPORTANT] What actions can the ASF take to enforcecopyright?

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
After finally closing the loop with the person, I found out that the
document was an internal company document "protected" by NDA.

The person who contacted me was a project manager, and discovered
it by someone else's prompting.  I reminded the gentleman that the
source document is protected by the ASL, which generally states that
if you do not change it you can distribute it freely.

I asked him to restore the original "by-line", and he was happy with
that.

There is no public URL to review the stolen bit.  Apparently, it was
a total of 12 pages ripped off (not just a bit), and appended with
a rip off of another document from OSS(?).

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
there is a link in the text at the bottom of the front page..
http://www.apache.org/foundation/licence-FAQ.html

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.