Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by ma...@merkur.at on 2006/11/06 16:44:15 UTC

Clarification about Tiles

Hi,

I use MyFaces with Tiles in two projects and I'm quite happy with it.
It does what I expect with no troubles!

Recently, I read some statements from members of the MyFaces team (Werner
Punz, Matthias Wessendorf) which  take the view that using Tiles in
context of JSF is a bad idea (with no explanation why)

Could  one of the MyFaces comitters give a statement why using of Tiles is
not recommended?

What are the drawbacks of Tiles when I only need a templating tool?

Is the Tiles integration in future MyFaces versions guaranteed?

I agree that the facelets framework is more powerful than Tiles but I
think that the porting of an existing MyFaces Application to facelets is
not as easy. Isn't it?

TIA

Martin Kuhn

Re: Clarification about Tiles

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
> I use MyFaces with Tiles in two projects and I'm quite happy with it.
> It does what I expect with no troubles!

that's great.

> Recently, I read some statements from members of the MyFaces team (Werner
> Punz, Matthias Wessendorf) which  take the view that using Tiles in context

bad boys ;)

> of JSF is a bad idea (with no explanation why)
>
> Could  one of the MyFaces comitters give a statement why using of Tiles is
> not recommended?

Tiles is a JSP based technology for templating. There is a "mismatch"
between jsf and jsp.
You can still use your Tiles defs with a myfaces app. That's fine!

Facelets is on top of JSF so it is much closer to that spec.
Facelets was created because of the JSF_JSP integration was/is not that well.
(sorta practical work around)

> What are the drawbacks of Tiles when I only need a templating tool?

Faclets is faster for instance. you don't need these *global* navigation rules.
you parameterize Faclets

But... Tiles has still one benefit, you can *navigate* to a "Tiles
definition". In Facelets you navigate to a "template client" which
says "header: page.xhtml; menu: navi.xhtml"...

> Is the Tiles integration in future MyFaces versions guaranteed?

sure! Even the example will be maintained, in case of any issues.

> I agree that the facelets framework is more powerful than Tiles but I think
> that the porting of an existing MyFaces Application to facelets is not as
> easy. Isn't it?

well, I'd never port that much from "technology a" to "technology b"
in a (running) project.
Tiles works! and if it fit's all your needs; that is perfect ! I'd not
recomment to do the porting,
but for new projects I'd look closer to Facelets.

There is a very interesting article from Rick Hightower online (at IBM or so)
If you like, check that out.

(he explains facelets in there and has a demo with Facelets and Tiles)
-M

--
Matthias Wessendorf
http://tinyurl.com/fmywh

further stuff:
mail: mwessendorf-at-gmail-dot-com

Re: Clarification about Tiles

Posted by Gerald Müllan <bi...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

if using tiles, you get some overhead with it. What comes along with
this fact, you have to use jsp in combination with tiles (or better;
tiles in combination with jsp), which seems little bit outfashioned in
comparison to the well-jsf-fitting facelets view technology.

So that`s the main point; Matze and Werner are more fans of the well
with jsf working facelets (which does perform much more than
jsp+tiles).

Apart from this, migrating from jsp to facelets isn`t that extensive.
In the simplest way you only have to replace the doc-headers and do
little config work.

However, future versions of myfaces would support tiles as long as jsp
needs tiles to do templating. And that should meet all your needs.

cheers,

Gerald

--
http://www.irian.at