Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by David Fisher <df...@jmlafferty.com> on 2010/11/18 19:34:18 UTC

Re: [OT] RE: Tomcat Consultant

I recently heard the story about how PL/1 got its name. I heard this recently from my brother who worked with the son of the inventor of APL, Kenneth E. Iverson.

It was at IBM and APL was developed only the inventor wanted to call it The Programming Language - TPL. When it went to the committee he was you can't call it that there already is a TPL project. Outcome - neither language got the name TPL - instead we have APL and PL/1.

Dave

RE: [OT] RE: Tomcat Consultant

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
amazing that all of the language battles lead to a Pyrrhic victory

speaking of languages ..which languages does IBM currently "support"?

thanks,
Martin Gainty