Posted to dev@wookie.apache.org by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com> on 2011/11/04 18:02:03 UTC

Some demos of the widget template work

[cross posted to wookie, rave in context and myExperiment, please keep
your feedback on the appropriate list]

If anyone has been hearing about/watching my work on MyExperiment W3C
Widgets (and the associated Wookie templating system) and want to see
them in action take a look at [1]

I've also implemented a Wookie connector in Javascript (will put in
Wookie ASAP). This allows an "application" to be built using widgets
that can instantiate/discover widget instances and navigate to them as
appropriate. You can see this by examining the myExperiment mobile
application at [2]

We're still adding functionality and working on the CSS to make best
use of various sizes of screen. On a desktop size screen we intend to
use Rave to provide multiple widgets on the page at once (at this
point we really need Inter Widget Communication).

Ross

[1] http://oss.ly/ricwookie
[2] http://oss.ly/myexperiment

--
Ross Gardler (@rgardler)
Programme Leader (Open Development)

Re: Some demos of the widget template work

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.

http://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/p/rave-in-context/source/browse/trunk/widgets/common/scripts/wookie_controller.js

> > It's a bare minimum for what I need it to do right now. I have every
> > intention of bringing it to Wookie so if you want to bring it here
> > before I have time, feel free. It is Apache Licensed.
>
> Great, thanks.
>
> One of the problems with using a JS-based connector is that you have a
much higher risk of exposing the API key. However, if we use two-legged
oAuth to sign the message using a secret (which isn't transmitted with the
message) the risk is reduced - though its still up to the connecting app to
protect that secret.

Right, the system I've built is for a very special, same origin, use case.

> I've got this working in my dev environment using a jquery oauth plugin
on the client side, and a modified security filter at the Wookie end.

Cool.

Ross

> Of course it doesn't change anything about same-origin restrictions; in
this case I've mainly done it to enable Widgets hosted by Wookie to make
secure calls to the admin APIs without using basic auth.

> >> I think if Sten, Erik or any of the other ROLE project guys (who are
probably lurking on this list...)  were to supply an OpenApp IWC <feature>
patch for Wookie I think it would be very gratefully received :-)

Posted by Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.

Posted by Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com>.