Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com> on 2012/01/04 17:28:07 UTC

suggested CMS workflows for ooo-site

Given that the size of ooo-site is around 9GB, there
are some unique challenges here in dealing with the CMS.
For the most part tho, the typical workflow of editing
a few pages on the site, committing them, and publishing
them can all be done reasonably effectively using the CMS
website.

OTOH, people who need to monkey with templates/** or lib/**
files will trigger full site builds and their changes may
materially impact every file on the site.  While I've now
reduced the build time to around 4 minutes, the bottleneck
now remains squarely in the time it takes svn to commit back
those changes and to deal with merging those changes during
publication requests.

In those circumstances I strongly advise you to use the
publish.pl script on people.apache.org to review and if
ok publish your changes.  This will eliminate the chances
that your browser times out a direct publish request to the
CMS site, which is a real hassle given that it takes ~15
minutes for a largeish publish request to be processed.

In the near future we will be upgrading svn to 1.7 on the CMS
server which will bring in better performance along with
full support for deletions via svn, but I don't expect the
performance changes to significantly alter the workflow I'm
recommending here.

And please for the sake of others who want to work on minor
changes to the site, don't make a sledgehammer type commit
without following up with an eventual publish request, because
publish requests are an all-or-nothing type deal.  That means
a sledgehammer commit will cause unreasonable delays for people
who are trying to publish minor changes to the site, until
the person who did the sledgehammer commit follows thru and
publishes everything.

HTH

Re: suggested CMS workflows for ooo-site

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.
>>  On Jan 4, 2012, at 8:28 AM, Joe Schaefer wrote:
>>
>>  > Given that the size of ooo-site is around 9GB, there
>>  > are some unique challenges here in dealing with the CMS.
>>  > For the most part tho, the typical workflow of editing
>>  > a few pages on the site, committing them, and publishing
>>  > them can all be done reasonably effectively using the CMS
>>  > website.
>>  >
>>  > OTOH, people who need to monkey with templates/** or lib/**
>>  > files will trigger full site builds and their changes may
>>  > materially impact every file on the site.  While I've now
>>  > reduced the build time to around 4 minutes, the bottleneck
>>  > now remains squarely in the time it takes svn to commit back
>>  > those changes and to deal with merging those changes during
>>  > publication requests.
>>
>>  Thanks for your improvements.
>>
>>  >
>>  > In those circumstances I strongly advise you to use the
>>  > publish.pl script on people.apache.org to review and if
>>  > ok publish your changes.  This will eliminate the chances
>>  > that your browser times out a direct publish request to the
>>  > CMS site, which is a real hassle given that it takes ~15
>>  > minutes for a largeish publish request to be processed.
>>
>>  I always use publish.pl when I use my sledgehammer ;-)
>>

> Well I haven't been using a sledgehammer at all, I think, but routinely use
> the following URL for publishing:
>
> https://cms.apache.org/openofficeorg/publish
>
> you need to login to use it, however. Just a web interface to publish.pl I
> think.

Yes, the publish.pl script uses the same url, but it's a bit faster
there because it's delivering raw JSON content versus templatized,
markdown-enabled HTML content.  Normally the difference is negligible,
but with multimegabyte change-sets caused by slegehammer commits
the difference becomes suddenly appreciable.

>>  I usually test my changes with local build_site.pl or build_file.pl.
>>
>>  My observation is that the biggest bottleneck is more in the creation of
>>  the email reports. Particularly after publish.pl returns.

FYI Dave the same advice applies here: once publish.pl completes succesfully,
the commit has been made and you don't need to wait for further confirmation
from svnmailer.

>>  >
>>  > In the near future we will be upgrading svn to 1.7 on the CMS
>>  > server which will bring in better performance along with
>>  > full support for deletions via svn, but I don't expect the
>>  > performance changes to significantly alter the workflow I'm
>>  > recommending here.
>>  >
>>  > And please for the sake of others who want to work on minor
>>  > changes to the site, don't make a sledgehammer type commit
>>  > without following up with an eventual publish request, because
>>  > publish requests are an all-or-nothing type deal.  That means
>>  > a sledgehammer commit will cause unreasonable delays for people
>>  > who are trying to publish minor changes to the site, until
>>  > the person who did the sledgehammer commit follows thru and
>>  > publishes everything.
>>
>>  I would recommend that larger template and skeleton changes with the whole
>>  ooo-site are done locally and fully tested before committing to svn..
>>

> Probably a VERY good idea...but I'm just as happy to have a limited set of
> folks (Dave!), dealing with site-wide template changes. Despite the fact
> that I've looked over the templates and tried to figure them out,
> well...I'm not real confident about making changes to them. :/ Unless, in
> your *free* time, you might work up a nice tutorial on them. :)

Just documenting my remarks in this thread on the site somewhere would be
wise IMO.  All I'm trying to point out is that a 9GB site requires more
cms usage documentation than the more typically sized <<100MB site we host.

HTH

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.
FWIW I opened a thread on dev@svn about the time it takes
for svn to commit and merge large changesets.  If there's
nothing more they can do to improve the situation, I have
a hunch that migrating the cms to a machine with SSD's running
l2arc cache for zfs will help a lot.

We have a machine lying around that would suit that purpose,
just haven't had the time to bring it up and migrate over to it.
Eventually tho I'll get the free tuits to make it happen.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 9:45 PM, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Jan 4, 2012, at 5:00 PM, Daniel Shahaf wrote:
>
> > Joe Schaefer wrote on Wed, Jan 04, 2012 at 16:55:02 -0800:

I am SO looking forward to this. Right now, although I can kind of "guess"
what happens with the setup stuff, I certainly would NOT feel confident in
changing any of it. A low level tutorial would be wonderful! :)

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.
Staging and production will both do SSI if
you tell them to via a top-level .htaccess
file.  Trafficserver does this right now
with the CMS.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.