Posted to dev@climate.apache.org by "Boustani, Maziyar (398F)" <Ma...@jpl.nasa.gov> on 2014/06/05 00:12:32 UTC

Model Observation Evaluation exmaple

Hi Paul and Alex,

I ran a test code to evaluate one model [1] with one observation[2]. You can find the result as attached.
This has been temporally regrided for 356 day, so we going to have 5 years of data and that is why we have 5 plots.
Do you guys thinks this is correct to have one plot for each time or it should be one plot for entire time?

Metric = Bias
parameter_id = 38
dataset_id = 10
min_lat = 0
max_lat = 20
min_lon = 0
max_lon = 20
start_time = 2000-01-01 00:00:00
end_time = 2004-12-01 00:00:00

[1] : AFRICA_UQAM-CRCM5_CTL_ERAINT_MM_50km_1989-2008_tas.nc (variable = TAS)
[2] : CRU3.1 Daily-Mean Temperature (parmeter_id = 38)

[cid:03DF99EA-3331-4A42-974E-7131165A8C00]

……………………
Maziyar Boustani
Software Engineer - GIS Developer
Science Data Understanding Group
Jet Propulsion Laboratory, California Institute of Technology
4800 Oak Grove Drive,
Pasadena, CA, 91109
maziyar.boustani@jpl.nasa.gov<ma...@jpl.nasa.gov>

Re: Model Observation Evaluation exmaple

Posted by Michael Joyce <jo...@apache.org>.
Hay Mazi,

I'm checking this out on the OCW list. It looks like your plot got dropped.
Could you upload it somewhere and provide a link for us?

Cheers!

-- Joyce

Posted by "Loikith, Paul C (329C-Affiliate)" <Pa...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hi Mazi,

This looks right to me.  The only thing missing is the symmetric color bar that we discussed.  Please let me know if you need any help with that.

Paul

From: <Boustani>, "Maziyar (398F)" <Ma...@jpl.nasa.gov>>
Date: Thursday, June 5, 2014 2:40 PM
To: Paul Loikith <pa...@jpl.nasa.gov>>, "goodman@apache.org<ma...@apache.org>" <go...@apache.org>>, Kyo Lee <Hu...@jpl.nasa.gov>>
Cc: "Joyce, Michael J (398J)" <Mi...@jpl.nasa.gov>>, "dev@climate.apache.org<ma...@climate.apache.org>" <de...@climate.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: Model Observation Evaluation exmaple

Hi All,

One new metric (MeanBias) has been added to list of Metrics on API and I regenerated the plot from yesterday data [1].
Please let me know it looks like.

[1]: http://oi57.tinypic.com/34te3iw.jpg
……………………
Maziyar Boustani
Software Engineer - GIS Developer
Science Data Understanding Group
Jet Propulsion Laboratory, California Institute of Technology
4800 Oak Grove Drive,
Pasadena, CA, 91109
maziyar.boustani@jpl.nasa.gov<ma...@jpl.nasa.gov>

On Jun 4, 2014, at 3:48 PM, Boustani, Maziyar (398F) wrote:

Here is the attached [1].

[1]: http://oi58.tinypic.com/w7yo2q.jpg
……………………
Maziyar Boustani
Software Engineer - GIS Developer
Science Data Understanding Group
Jet Propulsion Laboratory, California Institute of Technology
4800 Oak Grove Drive,
Pasadena, CA, 91109
maziyar.boustani@jpl.nasa.gov<ma...@jpl.nasa.gov>

On Jun 4, 2014, at 3:35 PM, Loikith, Paul C (329C-Affiliate) wrote:

Hi Mazi,

This should be one plot total.  When you compute a bias, conventionally it's just one bias for the entire time period so there should be one plot.  You could have multiple plots if you were computing the bias for all 4 seasons, but for annual there should only be one.

When you say you temporally regridded to 365 days, what do you mean by this?  The model and obs data are monthly, correct?  So shouldn't you just be computing the mean difference between the obs and the model?

Please let me know if you need further clarification.

Thanks,

Paul

From: <Boustani>, "Maziyar (398F)" <Ma...@jpl.nasa.gov>>
Date: Wednesday, June 4, 2014 3:12 PM
To: Paul Loikith <pa...@jpl.nasa.gov>>, "goodman@apache.org<ma...@apache.org>" <go...@apache.org>>
Cc: "dev@climate.apache.org<ma...@climate.apache.org>" <de...@climate.apache.org>>
Subject: Model Observation Evaluation exmaple

Hi Paul and Alex,

I ran a test code to evaluate one model [1] with one observation[2]. You can find the result as attached.
This has been temporally regrided for 356 day, so we going to have 5 years of data and that is why we have 5 plots.
Do you guys thinks this is correct to have one plot for each time or it should be one plot for entire time?

Metric = Bias
parameter_id = 38
dataset_id = 10
min_lat = 0
max_lat = 20
min_lon = 0
max_lon = 20
start_time = 2000-01-01 00:00:00
end_time = 2004-12-01 00:00:00

[1] : AFRICA_UQAM-CRCM5_CTL_ERAINT_MM_50km_1989-2008_tas.nc (variable = TAS)
[2] : CRU3.1 Daily-Mean Temperature (parmeter_id = 38)

<model_vs_obs_bias.png>

……………………

Posted by "Loikith, Paul C (329C-Affiliate)" <Pa...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
I agree.  Mean bias is more useful for model evaluation.  This could of course be applied also to mean winter bias, or mean summer bias not just annual.

Paul

From: <Boustani>, "Maziyar (398F)" <Ma...@jpl.nasa.gov>>
Date: Wednesday, June 4, 2014 4:41 PM
To: Paul Loikith <pa...@jpl.nasa.gov>>, Alex Goodman <al...@colostate.edu>>
Cc: "dev@climate.apache.org<ma...@climate.apache.org>" <de...@climate.apache.org>>

I guess the best solution here is to add the new Metric "calcBiasAberageOverTime" to our Metrics and use that in this example to be able to generate one plot.

……………………
Maziyar Boustani
Software Engineer - GIS Developer
Science Data Understanding Group
Jet Propulsion Laboratory, California Institute of Technology
4800 Oak Grove Drive,
Pasadena, CA, 91109
maziyar.boustani@jpl.nasa.gov<ma...@jpl.nasa.gov>

On Jun 4, 2014, at 4:29 PM, Loikith, Paul C (329C-Affiliate) wrote:

Yes agreed.  I'm guessing the issue here is the use of "calcBias" vs. "calcBiasAveragedOverTime."  The later module from metrics.py would accomplish this.

I definitely agree about the colorbar too.

Hope all is well.

Paul

From: Alex Goodman <al...@colostate.edu>>
Date: Wednesday, June 4, 2014 4:25 PM
To: "dev@climate.apache.org<ma...@climate.apache.org>" <de...@climate.apache.org>>
Cc: "Boustani, Maziyar (398F)" <Ma...@jpl.nasa.gov>>, Paul Loikith <pa...@jpl.nasa.gov>>

Hi Paul,

I think I wasn't sure what was exactly in Mazi plots. I thought what was being shown was the bias averaged for each year. Instead it sounds like the data was temporally regridded from monthly data to yearly data first, (eg, the annual average surface temperatures were calculated first, then the bias metric was ran on the temporally regridded data). What I was trying to say was that from visually inspecting the plots alone, a plot of the average values of all five of them would probably look similar to each individual plot. Sorry if I worded that poorly... in any case I think your suggestion is the correct one, what should be plotted is just the mean bias at each grid point for the five-year period.

Also another side-note: When plotting biases or anomalies, it is generally ideal to have the 0 contour at the center of the colorbar. Currently you must manually enter the contour levels into one of the arguments of the contour plotting function to achieve this. Finding an elegant way to do this automatically was an often requested feature of the OCW plotting interface that I unfortunately never found the time to implement. Just something to think about.

Also, thanks for the kind regards Chris, I am doing well.

Alex

On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 5:06 PM, Mattmann, Chris A (3980) <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>> wrote:
THanks guys, Alex, great to see you!

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Chief Architect
Office: 168-519, Mailstop: 168-527
Email: chris.a.mattmann@nasa.gov<ma...@nasa.gov>
WWW:  http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (3980)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
I smell Review Board :)

Posted by "Lee, Kyo (329C-Affiliate)" <Hu...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hi Mazi,

We do not have to make the new metric from scratch.
As I told you two weeks ago, someone just needs to reform the following function that Kim and I updated last year.

def calcClimSeason(monthBegin, monthEnd, dataset1):
    '''
> [...]

> Also, thanks for the kind regards Chris, I am doing well.
>
> Alex
>

> On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 5:06 PM, Mattmann, Chris A (3980) <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>> wrote:
> THanks guys, Alex, great to see you!

> Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
> Chief Architect
> Instrument Software and Science Data Systems Section (398)
> Office: 168-519, Mailstop: 168-527
> Email: chris.a.mattmann@nasa.gov<ma...@nasa.gov>
> WWW:  http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/
> Adjunct Associate Professor, Computer Science Department

>>> parameter_id = 38
>>> dataset_id = 10
>>> min_lat = 0
>>> max_lat = 20
>>> min_lon = 0
>>> max_lon = 20
>>> start_time = 2000-01-01 00:00:00

Posted by Alex Goodman <al...@colostate.edu>.
Hi Paul,

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (3980)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.

Posted by "Loikith, Paul C (329C-Affiliate)" <Pa...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hi Alex,

Just to clarify…wouldn't you always be plotting the 5-year average bias when computing a "bias" for a  5-year climatology?  It looks like the bias is systematic for the 5 years, but not identical.

Paul

Posted by Alex Goodman <al...@colostate.edu>.
Hi Mazi,

Posted by "Loikith, Paul C (329C-Affiliate)" <Pa...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Perfect!

From: <Boustani>, "Maziyar (398F)" <Ma...@jpl.nasa.gov>>
Date: Thursday, June 5, 2014 4:12 PM
To: Kyo Lee <Hu...@jpl.nasa.gov>>, Paul Loikith <pa...@jpl.nasa.gov>>
Cc: "Joyce, Michael J (398J)" <Mi...@jpl.nasa.gov>>, "dev@climate.apache.org<ma...@climate.apache.org>" <de...@climate.apache.org>>

Guys,

I fixed the color bar [1], does that look better?

[1]: http://oi58.tinypic.com/t50uty.jpg
……………………
Maziyar Boustani
Software Engineer - GIS Developer
Science Data Understanding Group
Jet Propulsion Laboratory, California Institute of Technology
4800 Oak Grove Drive,
Pasadena, CA, 91109
maziyar.boustani@jpl.nasa.gov<ma...@jpl.nasa.gov>

On Jun 5, 2014, at 3:57 PM, Lee, Kyo (329C-Affiliate) wrote:

Thanks, Mazi.
The new plot looks okay except that the color bar is not symmetric with
respect to zero as Paul pointed out.

Kyo