Posted to dev@asterixdb.apache.org by Ian Maxon <im...@uci.edu> on 2016/02/03 02:22:21 UTC

[CANCEL] [VOTE] Release Apache AsterixDB (0.8.8-incubating) and Hyracks (0.2.17-incubating)

Thank you for the very detailed analysis Ate.
I'm working on addressing your comments, I'll issue a new RC in a few days
that should have everything in order.

As a side note, similar to the LICENSE comments, is it also
un-necessary/un-wanted to aggregate NOTICE(s) from artifacts which are
simply "copyright ASF" with no other notice content?

-Ian

Re: [CANCEL] [VOTE] Release Apache AsterixDB (0.8.8-incubating) and Hyracks (0.2.17-incubating)

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
On 2016-02-03 02:22, Ian Maxon wrote:
> Thank you for the very detailed analysis Ate.
> I'm working on addressing your comments, I'll issue a new RC in a few days
> that should have everything in order.
>

> As a side note, similar to the LICENSE comments, is it also
> un-necessary/un-wanted to aggregate NOTICE(s) from artifacts which are
> simply "copyright ASF" with no other notice content?

No. Those attributions are required, even if no (other) notice content is
provided (meaning: concerning additional notice attributions for 3rd party
resources *within* such other bundled ASF artifact).

The ASL 2.0 requires [1] to aggregate *any* bundled 3rd party NOTICE content,
for as much its content is relevant/valid with respect to what is bundled.
Only the standard ASF NOTICE 'boilerplate' (which is/should be the same for all
and thus already required for and provided by the aggregating artifact itself)
can be skipped.

But the "Apache <project name> Copyright [year(s)] ASF" is significant and
needs to be aggregated such that downstream consumers are made aware of their
usage of such (other) artifacts, conforming the ASL 2.0 license, and (thus)
also know what they have to acknowledge too on subsequent further distribution
(if/when done under ASL 2.0 license) themselves.

Ate

[1] http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0 section 4.d