Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "massive.boisson" <ma...@gmail.com> on 2009/08/04 15:27:33 UTC

maven eclipse plugin and wtp

Hi, I have a maven project (that is web project by its nature) and I want to
run it in eclipse as WTP project.

I found command (on
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-eclipse-plugin/wtp.html):
mvn -Dwtpversion=R7 eclipse:eclipse
Where wtpversion can be R7, 1.0, 1.5, 2.0 or none (default).

As current wtp version is 3.1, can I use
mvn -Dwtpversion=3.1 eclipse:eclipse

Or is there a new or prefered way to do this?

Thanks a lot

-MB

Re: maven eclipse plugin and wtp

Posted by "massive.boisson" <ma...@gmail.com>.
Sorry that came out wrong, I know I cannot do -Dwtpversion=3.1, but I am
wondering what are my alternatives.

It seems there should be a new new way to do this, and I cannot find it.

Or maybe 2.0 works as good as 3.1

Thanks

-MB

Posted by Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com>.
On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 9:56 AM, Martin Gainty<mg...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> m2 is the better solution if you need to debug
> curious as to what term CI means?

CI = continuous integration... Things like Hudson, Bamboo, Continuum.

-Wes

--
Wes Wannemacher

Head Engineer, WanTii, Inc.
Ask me for a quote!

RE: maven eclipse plugin and wtp

Posted by "massive.boisson" <ma...@gmail.com>.
Let me answer my own question.

After searching the m2 forum, I found:
http://www.nabble.com/How-to-convert-or-use-a-Maven-project-as-a-dynamic-web-project--to23430177.html#a23432587

For anyone looking to do this, it's very simple, you just need to make sure
you have installed "m2e WTP
Integration optional feature installed". You just import/general/maven
project....

Again, thanks, and sorry for extra posting.

Posted by "massive.boisson" <ma...@gmail.com>.
Thank you guys,

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
m2 is the better solution if you need to debug
curious as to what term CI means?

Martin
Ask about "software clunker upgrade program"

> Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 09:39:17 -0400
> Subject: Re: maven eclipse plugin and wtp
> From: wesw@wantii.com
> To: users@maven.apache.org
>
> On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 9:27 AM,
> massive.boisson<ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi, I have a maven project (that is web project by its nature) and I want to
> > run it in eclipse as WTP project.
> >
> > I found command (on
> > http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-eclipse-plugin/wtp.html):
> > mvn -Dwtpversion=R7 eclipse:eclipse
> > Where wtpversion can be R7, 1.0, 1.5, 2.0 or none (default).
> >

> > As current wtp version is 3.1, can I use
> > mvn -Dwtpversion=3.1 eclipse:eclipse
> >

> > Or is there a new or prefered way to do this?
> >

> When you specify the WTP version, you are telling the plugin which
> type of configuration to generate. Eclipse has the ability to "import"
> from older versions, so even though WTP version 2.0 is from '08, it
> shouldn't hurt to use 2.0, then let eclipse import it.
>
> At the same time, when using the eclipse plugin, you should ask
> yourself which you want to depend on more, eclipse or maven? Eclipse
> and maven both handle many similar tasks, but if you use the eclipse
> functionality, you are locked into eclipse... There are many eclipse
> tools that are helpful, but for building and testing, I prefer to
> leave it to maven. That being the case, what does WTP give you that is
> most important? IMO, it's the ability to run your web-app right from
> the IDE... You can install a tomcat runtime right in WTP and tell
> eclipse to run your web-app in it. If this is the feature you are
> looking for, then I would say that you could do one better and use the
> maven-tomcat-plugin to get the same functionality.
>
> Instead of using the maven-eclipse-plugin to generate eclipse
> configuration files, try using the m2eclipse eclipse plugin to have
> eclipse become more "maven-aware". Then, you can create an eclipse run
> configuration that launches 'mvn tomcat:run'. You will have the
> ability to debug your web-app using the eclipse debugger. In addition,
> you will also have the nifty pom editory that comes with m2eclipse.
> This will leave you with a project that is more portable across IDEs,
> in case someone on your team later decides to use something other than
> eclipse. In addition, your build/test process can be run in a CI
> environment like hudson.
>
> -Wes
>
> --
> Wes Wannemacher
>
> Head Engineer, WanTii, Inc.
> Ask me for a quote!

Get free photo software from Windows Live
http://www.windowslive.com/online/photos?ocid=PID23393::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:SI_PH_software:082009

Re: maven eclipse plugin and wtp

Posted by Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com>.
On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 9:27 AM,