Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "Waggershauser, Thomas" <Th...@vector-informatik.de> on 2004/03/25 09:55:22 UTC

Hyphenation Patterns

Hello,

I need Hyphenation Patterns for german and french language. These are not available at the fop-homepage, but a reference to a tex source. Its mentioned that its possible to convert the tex-format to the fop xml-format. I tried really hard to find out how to do this, but I got no idea.
Maybe here is someone who can help me...

Thomas

Re: Hyphenation Patterns

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.
On Mar 29, 2004, at 11:51 AM, Simon Pepping wrote:
> I am about to make the hyphenation patterns for German and French
> available on my homepage, www.leverkruid.nl/FOP/index.html.
>
> I intend to find a home for all hyphenation pattern files that have a
> license that is not compatible with the Apache license, but which
> allows their free distribution. I am thinking of the TeX archive CTAN,
> SourceForge or Savannah.
>
> Enjoy,
> Simon Pepping
>
> --
> Simon Pepping
> home page: http://www.leverkruid.nl

You're the bomb, Simon! (TRANSLATION: I was hoping someone might step
up to this challenge... Thank you very much! :-))

Web Maestro Clay

Re: Hyphenation Patterns

Posted by Simon Pepping <sp...@leverkruid.nl>.

Re: Hyphenation Patterns

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.
On Mar 25, 2004, at 1:39 AM, Chris Bowditch wrote:
> Waggershauser, Thomas wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> I need Hyphenation Patterns for german and french language. These are
>> not available at the fop-homepage, but a reference to a tex source.
>> Its mentioned that its possible to convert the tex-format to the fop
>> xml-format. I tried really hard to find out how to do this, but I got
>> no idea.
>> Maybe here is someone who can help me...
>
> I have never done the conversion myself, but heard that it is actually
> quite tricky. The french and german hypenatation patterns used to be
> distributed with older versions of FOP, 0.20.4. Older versions of FOP
> binaries can be downloaded from the website. So I suggest you download
> and install FOP 0.20.4 and then extract the hypenatation files from
> there.
>
> Chris

I believe that, due to licensing issues, the hyphenation patterns have
been removed from old binaries (hence the 'a' in 0.20.4a, 0.20.3a,
etc.). I suspect that the best course of action is to follow the
instructions on the FOP Hyphenation page[1] to convert TeX hyphenation
patterns. The FOP developers sincerely regret that the hyphenation
patterns had to be removed. If you have problems with the conversion,
please don't hesitate to ask for help on this list.

   http://xml.apache.org/fop/hyphenation.html

Good luck!

Web Maestro Clay

Re: Hyphenation Patterns